What activities trigger an email or text when using 2-factor verification?

Reaction score
My boyfriend recently added 2-step verification for his Apple ID (not sure if 2 step or the new version.) I wasn't thinking and grabbed his sons iPad to play games, unlocked it via passcode (numeric and BF let me use) and a few things popped up saying a Apple password needed to be entered/device was being accessed. I clicked out of everything and DID NOT attempt any logins. Will he be notified somehow? I know it looks like I'm guilty of trying to snoop but that's really not the case. I don't even know his Apple password anyway. I'm feeling super paranoid now, and don't want to have upset him. Please let me know if I triggered anything! I'm scared it'll say I attempted to log in and I'll have no way to state my case that I really didn't and was just unlocking the device. I locked/unlocked it again to play and the notifications didn't pop up again.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am not too familiar with the two-step verification, but I will try and help you out. If you simply clicked Cancel in those pop-ups, then there shouldn't be any notification sent. I believe they appeared because some apps on the iPad need updating, and Apple prompts for passwords sometimes if those functions haven't been used in a while, or their terms of service have changed.

Since you weren't doing anything other than playing some game apps on the iPad, I wouldn't worry about it too much. He did give you the passcode to use the iPad, and if you don't know his Apple ID password, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question