WakeOnLan/Java commands on Mac OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac' started by ToasterKing, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. ToasterKing

    ToasterKing Guest

    Hi there.

    I'd like to wake up several PCs via Ethernet from a Macintosh running
    Mac OS 9.1 using Wake-On-Lan (WoL) magic packets. Unfortunately, I
    haven't been able to find any software which runs on Mac OS 9 (or
    Carbon) which will do this. I have found a Java implementation of
    Wake-On-Lan on http://www.sourceforge.net which I would like to try,
    but it requires to be invoked using a command line. How, in Mac OS 9,
    can I execute the equivalent of a command like

    java -jar wakeonlan.jar -i 192.168.0.255 00:50:95:10:95:F5

    The Apple Applet Runner that comes with Mac OS Runtime for Java will
    only directly open HTML files. Thanks for any tips.

    --
    <<Please remove the word "SPLAT" from either below address to use it.>>
    Email: mailto:
    Visit ToasterKingdom at http://SPLATtoasterking.tripod.com/
     
    ToasterKing, Oct 8, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ToasterKing

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <081020031631074788%>,
    ToasterKing <> wrote:

    > Hi there.
    >
    > I'd like to wake up several PCs via Ethernet from a Macintosh running
    > Mac OS 9.1 using Wake-On-Lan (WoL) magic packets. Unfortunately, I
    > haven't been able to find any software which runs on Mac OS 9 (or
    > Carbon) which will do this. I have found a Java implementation of
    > Wake-On-Lan on http://www.sourceforge.net which I would like to try,
    > but it requires to be invoked using a command line. How, in Mac OS 9,
    > can I execute the equivalent of a command like
    >
    > java -jar wakeonlan.jar -i 192.168.0.255 00:50:95:10:95:F5
    >
    > The Apple Applet Runner that comes with Mac OS Runtime for Java will
    > only directly open HTML files. Thanks for any tips.


    I can't speak to the Java issue, but the Macintosh Programmer's
    Workbench (MPW) contains a shell which can issue commands with line
    arguments. For what's worth, it can also compile and run a simple
    application to do the WOL job. There's also MacPerl, but I prefer
    issuing WOL commands via MPW on my old Q630 running MacOS 7.6.1.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
     
    Tom Stiller, Oct 8, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ToasterKing

    ToasterKing Guest

    In article
    <>, Tom
    Stiller <> wrote:

    > I can't speak to the Java issue, but the Macintosh Programmer's
    > Workbench (MPW) contains a shell which can issue commands with line
    > arguments. For what's worth, it can also compile and run a simple
    > application to do the WOL job. There's also MacPerl, but I prefer
    > issuing WOL commands via MPW on my old Q630 running MacOS 7.6.1.


    Thanks, Tom, for the information. If I manage to locate a copy of MPW,
    I'll give it a shot. It's nice to know you're still putting an old
    Quadra to good use. They don't make 'em like that anymore! BTW, how
    stable is 7.6.1 on the Q630? I had more stability problems on my P575
    and Q700 with System 7.5.5 and Mac OS 8.0/8.1 than I should have, but
    it was probably that I was using semi-modern software written by
    programmers who aren't very concerned about testing on 68K machines
    anymore.

    Thanks,
    TK

    --
    <<Please remove the word "SPLAT" from either below address to use it.>>
    Email: mailto:
    Visit ToasterKingdom at http://SPLATtoasterking.tripod.com/
     
    ToasterKing, Oct 9, 2003
    #3
  4. ToasterKing

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <081020032350265966%>,
    ToasterKing <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>, Tom
    > Stiller <> wrote:
    >
    > > I can't speak to the Java issue, but the Macintosh Programmer's
    > > Workbench (MPW) contains a shell which can issue commands with line
    > > arguments. For what's worth, it can also compile and run a simple
    > > application to do the WOL job. There's also MacPerl, but I prefer
    > > issuing WOL commands via MPW on my old Q630 running MacOS 7.6.1.

    >
    > Thanks, Tom, for the information. If I manage to locate a copy of MPW,
    > I'll give it a shot. It's nice to know you're still putting an old
    > Quadra to good use. They don't make 'em like that anymore! BTW, how
    > stable is 7.6.1 on the Q630? I had more stability problems on my P575
    > and Q700 with System 7.5.5 and Mac OS 8.0/8.1 than I should have, but
    > it was probably that I was using semi-modern software written by
    > programmers who aren't very concerned about testing on 68K machines
    > anymore.


    You may still be able to get the MPW from the Apple Develpoer's site
    <http://developer.apple.com/>. You may have to join the Developer
    Group, but there is no cost.

    I find 7.6.1 to be more stable than 7.5.x was. I never tried 8.x on
    the Q630 because the LaserWriter drivers that shipped with it were
    incompatible with some of the software that I used regularly. I do see
    some of the same problems with newer software but, since my main
    machine is an iMac running Jaguar, it's not an inconvenience.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
     
    Tom Stiller, Oct 9, 2003
    #4
  5. ToasterKing

    clvrmnky Guest

    ToasterKing wrote:
    > I'd like to wake up several PCs via Ethernet from a Macintosh running
    > Mac OS 9.1 using Wake-On-Lan (WoL) magic packets. Unfortunately, I
    > haven't been able to find any software which runs on Mac OS 9 (or
    > Carbon) which will do this. I have found a Java implementation of
    > Wake-On-Lan on http://www.sourceforge.net which I would like to try,
    > but it requires to be invoked using a command line. How, in Mac OS 9,
    > can I execute the equivalent of a command like
    >

    Does Perl run on this machine? If so, take a look at
    http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/. I use this from
    OpenBSD to handle a stable of Macs.
     
    clvrmnky, Oct 9, 2003
    #5
  6. ToasterKing

    ToasterKing Guest

    In article <DKkhb.90347$>, clvrmnky
    <> wrote:

    > ToasterKing wrote:
    > > I'd like to wake up several PCs via Ethernet from a Macintosh running
    > > Mac OS 9.1 using Wake-On-Lan (WoL) magic packets. Unfortunately, I
    > > haven't been able to find any software which runs on Mac OS 9 (or
    > > Carbon) which will do this. I have found a Java implementation of
    > > Wake-On-Lan on http://www.sourceforge.net which I would like to try,
    > > but it requires to be invoked using a command line. How, in Mac OS 9,
    > > can I execute the equivalent of a command like
    > >

    > Does Perl run on this machine? If so, take a look at
    > http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/. I use this from
    > OpenBSD to handle a stable of Macs.


    Thanks for the information. Perl does not run on this Mac; in fact,
    I'd have no idea how to run Perl on Mac OS 9, or really what to do once
    I had it running. I've hacked a few Perl scripts once, learning as I
    went, but that was all, and long ago.

    --
    <<Please remove the word "SPLAT" from either below address to use it.>>
    Email: mailto:
    Visit ToasterKingdom at http://SPLATtoasterking.tripod.com/
     
    ToasterKing, Oct 12, 2003
    #6
  7. ToasterKing

    ToasterKing Guest

    In article
    <>, Tom
    Stiller <> wrote:

    > You may still be able to get the MPW from the Apple Develpoer's site
    > <http://developer.apple.com/>. You may have to join the Developer
    > Group, but there is no cost.


    Thanks Tom. I was able to download and install MPW. FYI, all I did
    was search ADC for "MPW" and found the installer. Apple does keep
    their knowledgebase and support areas so much simpler and easier to
    search than M$ does. Now I just need to set aside some time to learn
    how to use MRJ from the command shell.

    --
    <<Please remove the word "SPLAT" from either below address to use it.>>
    Email: mailto:
    Visit ToasterKingdom at http://SPLATtoasterking.tripod.com/
     
    ToasterKing, Oct 12, 2003
    #7
  8. In article <121020030050384885%>,
    ToasterKing <> wrote:

    > Now I just need to set aside some time to learn
    > how to use MRJ from the command shell.


    You just need to install the (MRJ SDK) MPW tools and just can type java
    <commandlineoptions>

    --
    This address is valid in its unmodified form but expires soon.
     
    Thomas Engelmeier, Oct 17, 2003
    #8
  9. ToasterKing

    ToasterKing Guest

    In article <bmout2$p7ure$-berlin.de>, Thomas
    Engelmeier <> wrote:

    > In article <121020030050384885%>,
    > ToasterKing <> wrote:
    >
    > > Now I just need to set aside some time to learn
    > > how to use MRJ from the command shell.

    >
    > You just need to install the (MRJ SDK) MPW tools and just can type java
    > <commandlineoptions>


    Thanks a lot -- what a simple answer! I'll let you know how it works
    out.

    --
    <<Please remove the word "SPLAT" from either below address to use it.>>
    Email: mailto:
    Visit ToasterKingdom at http://SPLATtoasterking.tripod.com/
     
    ToasterKing, Oct 19, 2003
    #9
  10. ToasterKing

    ToasterKing Guest

    In article <bmout2$p7ure$-berlin.de>, Thomas
    Engelmeier <> wrote:

    > In article <121020030050384885%>,
    > ToasterKing <> wrote:
    >
    > > Now I just need to set aside some time to learn
    > > how to use MRJ from the command shell.

    >
    > You just need to install the (MRJ SDK) MPW tools and just can type java
    > <commandlineoptions>


    Thanks a lot -- I can execute commands in MPW passed to Java classes
    now. The only problem is that whenever I try to run this Java applet
    (wakeonlan.jar), MPW Shell unexpectedly quits with a type 2 error
    (address error). Without an error, I'm not really sure what's wrong.
    Since you have experience using MRJ in MPW, maybe you're familiar with
    this problem? I know that Java/MRJ is not really fault-tolerant and as
    such the cause could be most anything, but maybe you have some leads?

    Thanks,
    TK

    --
    <<Please remove the word "SPLAT" from either below address to use it.>>
    Email: mailto:
    Visit ToasterKingdom at http://SPLATtoasterking.tripod.com/
     
    ToasterKing, Oct 19, 2003
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. AES
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    60
  2. ToasterKing

    WakeOnLan/Java commands on Mac OS 9

    ToasterKing, Oct 8, 2003, in forum: Programmer Help
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    112
    Thomas Engelmeier
    Oct 19, 2003
  3. AES
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    64
  4. AES
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    90
  5. Martin S Taylor

    WakeOnLAN across WAN

    Martin S Taylor, Jul 23, 2008, in forum: UK Macs
    Replies:
    41
    Views:
    238
    Woody
    Jul 24, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page