Very, Very slow iMac 27". Can't hardly log in

Reaction score
Have a late 2012 iMac 27 "with 32 MB RAM, 3 TB disk, it is almost constantly on. By the way I live in Sweden near Gothenburg.

7 days ago I used Macphuns programs CleanMy Mac 3 which I never had problems with before. An hour after I used the program I had surfed and read e-mail and then been away from the computer ½ hours. When I come back everything is sluggish and I get the beach ball whatever I do. Turn off the computer by menu, wait a moment and then turn it on again.

If I log on to my main account, I will not go through the login phase, it is usually take 3-5 minutes just stand and chew remains after 2 hours.

If I instead choose another account with admin rights, only created and logged in to once earlier, it's logging in few minutes but then everything goes slow and there will be beach ball again ...

Have been away since the and have had the computer shut down. Turn it on today, just the same status.

Normally I have both a locally attached USB disk and an Apple Time Capsule on the local network on which backups are stored. Because of the relocation and everything was placed in a storage and stood where I can not reach myself (I'm in a wheelchair), they have not been connected for a while.

Have an app and a subscription from Backblaze where everything has been backed up via the Internet. Have ordered home a USB disk with 1.3 TB of data delivered to my home from the United States. It is a copy of my computer's hard drive and contains all the files from the root of the folders that are there such User to user folders.

It does not come with any software or tool to copy the files to the disk in my computer, I will not be able to log in to an account so that I can copy files via the Finder or other tool, everything will be like a bug at a glued stick (Swedish saying when everything goes very slow)...

What is best to do? Reformat my Mac as a new computer, create an identical basic account and then copy the files from the external hard drive?

Other tips on repairing files or OS so that no reformatting will be necessary ...

CleaMyMac found no fault on the OS and so has not other tools done.

Could it be hardware failure and if so, what?

All advice gratefully received!

The included picture shows the file structure of the backup drive from Backblaze.
image.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

My guess would be that CleanMyMac 3 is what is causing some/all of the sluggishness. If you can get logged in to an admin account, I would uninstall CleanMyMac 3 and see if that helps things speed up. Also, do you happen to have any anti-virus software or MacKeeper installed? Those are notorious for causing the issues you are experiencing, and it might be best to uninstall them as well.

The Backblaze backup is good to have in case of a catastrophe, but we should be able to fix the issue without needing to restore files from it, or having to perform an erase & install of Mac OS X.

***NOTE: Your iMac may be part of the recent iMac (27-inch) 3TB Hard Drive Replacement Program, and qualify for a free replacement 3TB hard drive. Follow that link and enter your serial number to verify your eligibility. It could also be a case for your issue.

C

Ask a Question