Use Automator to add music to Itunes when copied to a folder L@@K!!

Reaction score
Hello Mac Help!

I'm really hoping someone can help me out here. I've been viewing forums and trying trail and error, mostly error, to get this to work for more time then I can to mention.

What I would like to do:

1. Manually copy my new music into my 'Destination Music' folder.
2. Have automator add the newly added songs to itunes.

Seems easy enough....

I have tried to set a folder action on my 'Destination Music' folder (where i copy my new music to) with the 'Add songs to Playlist' action but it does not trigger when I add the new music to the 'Destination Music' folder. Maybe I'm missing a Files & Folders action prior to the Add Songs to Playlist action?

....but a few things I don't want.

I have been able to set an action that adds my new music to itunes with itunes then coping the mp3s into my 'destination music' folder. Problem here is the way itunes creates the folders is not inline with how my existing music is named.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it but I'd really like the 2 step method above if anyone knows how??

Reaction score
If you need more control, like naming playlist and the music not playing, you may need to use AppleScript.

Reaction score
Hi Kaveman, thanks for reply but I'm not looking to name a playlist and I'm not experiencing music not playing. Basically, all I'm trying to do is replicate the 'Automatically Add to iTunes' folder but using my own folder and automator. I know I can move the 'Automatically Add to iTunes' folder but because my music is on an external is causes itunes to lag because all the media info is store externally.... Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Hey all, I figured out how to do this... go to folder actions, add 'Get Selected Finder Items' and set to the folder you are moving the file to, add 'Add Songs to Playlist, choose existing or new playlist and then the playlist. This was working awesome until I updated to the new 10.9.4 osx. Now it doesnt work anymore.... anyone out there have any ideas?

Reaction score
Hey all, I figured out how to do this... go to folder actions, add 'Get Selected Finder Items' and set to the folder you are moving the file to, add 'Add Songs to Playlist, choose existing or new playlist and then the playlist. This was working awesome until I updated to the new 10.9.4 osx. Now it doesnt work anymore.... anyone out there have any ideas?

Well done man for working it out - and also posting your solution ... I love that you got a similar response to your post from kaveman ... lol ... bascially of no relevance to what you asked ... I got the same thing to my question ... I just thought i'd share my chuckle :) hehehehe

Reaction score
Now it doesnt work anymore.... anyone out there have any ideas?
I don't see any answer at all in your post Paul. On this forum we are all volunteers, we can provide any help we want. If our help does not help you the internet is a big place move on.

I'm a busy person, I try and provide just enough help to allow the initial poster to solve their problem, otherwise I'd spend all day typing unneeded help.

The problem in this thread is better suited AppleScript, and the Automator option is what now seems broken. I hope the OP got it sorted.

Ask a Question