use an Apple studio display with a Mac mini ?

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Apple Studio Display that still works great with an equally old 2001 Power Mac. I was thinking of getting a mac mini if I can use this display with it ? Is there a way to do this ?

I also have a fairly new MBA that I use daily but would like to be able to use the Studio display.

Thanks in advance, Charlie

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model of Apple Studio Display?
-Which type of connector - ADC? If so, it will not work with the current Macs.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what connector. It's a single cable from the display to the Power mac. I was told there might be a power supply adapter available that would split the power feed out somehow ?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, that is an ADC connector. It provides power and video. Apple used to sell the Apple DVI to ADC Adapter for around $99. It has been discontinued for several years now. But, you couldn't use it with an additional adapter to go from DVI to say HDMI or Mini DisplayPort, as they weren't compatible. I know first-hand, because I have one and an Apple Cinema Display (22" ADC).

I am not aware of any third-party adapters that would help in your situation, so buy and try at your own risk. That display is just showing its age and isn't compatible with the newest Macs.

C

Reaction score
I just google for info. Should have done that first. Anyway thanks for the help. Sad, because the display (22") is still in good shape. I' wanted to use it for photo work with some newer equipment and software. I guess it's time to spend some money.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Even though that monitor is in good shape, I am sure that the color rendition and brightness have faded over the years due to its age. My 22" is half as bright as the newer monitors I have, even when set to its full brightness. It is probably best to invest in a newer model any way. ;)

C

Ask a Question