unable to save files, upload files, download files

Tim

Reaction score
Okay..... I first thought I had a permissions problem, so I repaired my permissions, and my disk.... Unfortunately that was not the problem...

I have been unable to save, download or upload a file since last year.

Does anyone have a clue of what my problem is? I bought antivirus software and it did not work... Do I need spyware removal as well??? I really have no idea what the problem is.....

PLEASE HELP! ANYONE!

TIM

Reaction score
Hi Tim,

First of all, what is your Mac, and what version of OSX (or OS9) are you running?

What exactly happens when you try to download/upload or save?

Have you tried a different browser such as Firefox? Have you repaired permissions?

Firstly, I would repair permissions, then I would reset Safari ( if that is the browser you are using) then I would try Firefox if you can get a copy.

If you are unable to try Firefox, you should have IE on there, so try that.

If none of these fix it, then it is probably a network issue - you should be able to download though if you can view web pages, because webpages have to "download."

Tim

Reaction score
Kyomii,

Thank you for responding... I am running OSX.....Safari.....checked and repaired all permissions....cannot save a file even with Word, Excel, or from the internet.... It all seems like a permissions problem, and especially since I cannot save an Excel file, I have to think the network is not involved. Also, I cannot save a bookmark as well....

Any suggestions?

Tim

Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Can you please specify what happens when you try to save - do you get an error message, a pop up window or what? I need to know to help you further.

Also, for now, create a new user ensuring you allow the new user to have admin privileges.

If you are unsure how to do this, please click the following http://www.ucs.ed.ac.uk/usd/cts/ol/os/mac_osx/Panther/advanced/adding_users.html

Once you have done this, please restart your computer and log on to the new user account you have created. Now open something and try to save - and let me know if this works.

Doing the above step is important as it helps diagnose where the problem lies.

Tim

Reaction score
Kyomii,

Your suggestion worked...... The new user I added can upload, download, etc....

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!

tim :)

Reaction score
If you can download and upload etc with the new user, then the problem is a software issue - a corrupt permission/file/startup item on the old account.

Finding it would be the problem, if you are happy to continue using the new account then it is up to you if you delete the old one if there is nothing on it that you need (I assume there isn't as you cannot save etc on it.)

Tim

Reaction score
Kyomii,

The new account is great...and again, Thank you for your help! Ive not been able to use these functions since last summer....

Thank you Lots!!!

Tim

Ask a Question