Trouble with installing windows 7

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm trying to install Windows 7 on my mac through boot camp but I'm not succeeding.

My model:

--------------

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris 1536 MB, OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.2, 250GB SSD

--------------

After following instructions on Bootcamp, I tried installing it through my external 8GB USB drive (on which I have placed my windows 7 ISO file, and the required drivers), the first time around for some reason as soon as the system finishes getting things ready and reboots to begin installing Windows 7, I get a black screen with an error message as follows:

--------------

"No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

--------------

Pressing the keys on my keyboard does nothing so I'm forced to do a hard shutdown using the power button and hold down the Option key in order to get the system to show the Mac HD where OS X is (that's the only option I get). When I replug my USB, after some loading time, I get 'Windows' as another option but the drive is with an orange colour whereas the Mac HD was grey. When I select the Windows one and the system boots, suddenly windows 7 starts, and I select language etc. But then the error I faced before it even started installing said:

--------------

"No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers and then click OK"

--------------

I am using a USB which I formatted to MS-DOS (FAT32) and I have put on it the windows 7 ISO file as well as the drivers from the bootcamp installer.

When I try to browse for the drivers I see two drives:

--------------

• BOOTCAMP (C:)
  • BOOT (X:)
    • Program Files
    • sources
    • Users
    • Windows
--------------

Not sure what to do, I did some online research and in one post in the section for Bootcamp, it says for installing that I MS-DOS (FAT32) is not enough. It suggested doing this:

--------------

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to MBR then click on the OKbutton. Set the format type to MSDOS. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

--------------

But for me when I pressed on USB even though there is a partition button on the right, but it was greyed out. So I pressed format instead (where I earlier did the formatting for MS-DOS (FAT32) under the "format" dropdown list), there was another section where I could choose "scheme" dropdown list and one of the options was MBR so I selected it.

So now I was ready to go again (after putting all the required files on my usb again and having removed the partition created earlier), I ran bootcamp and created the partition, again that was fine, then again the mac rebooted, but I get another black screen with a new error message:

--------------

"Non-system disk Press any key to reboot".

--------------

So I'm at a loss for what to do next, and my wife is cutting onions next to me someone tell her to stop because it makes my eyes sweat.

If someone could help me out I would really appreciate it :<

Cory Cooper

Reaction score

Ask a Question