Terminator - re-start?

Reaction score
I posted this under Mac Applications, but perhaps it is more appropriately posted under Programming:
I am new to Mac and love it, but am still a shy virgin. I am working my way into Terminator with tutorial by Lynda.com. I followed instructions carefully but ended up in a mess. Now my Terminator is quite screwed up and won't make any sense at all. I need to clear all the nonsense out of it, but can't find a way to do it. It just gets worse the more I try. Can anyone tell me how to re-set Terminator so that I can start over again, please?|

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Did you mean the Terminal app in the Utilities folder or the Automator app in the Applications folder?

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory, and thank you.
I meant the Terminal app in the Utilities folder.
I have eventually heard from the tutor at Lynda.com. and he has now published a whole new chapter in his "PHP with MySQL Essential Training" course under "Mac Installation" entitled "Installing to Yosemite."
I started my new "life" with OS X 10.10.3 and never realised that his course applied to previous Apple default configurations for Apache that would not work for me. I thought the problem lay with me and having not yet begun to understand what I was learning about just spent hours and hours trying to bring onto my screen what he had so easily produced and merely said, "If (any configuration files) come back for you any different you might want to take a look and see what's there first. But since I don't have anything . . . ." and carries blithely on with the course! He said nothing about the impossible situation I was left in where eventually nothing worked at all. No permissions. Nothing. It just got worse for me the harder I tried. And the same files I was not supposed to have kept on appearing! Bah!
Anyway. Now he tells me a whole different bunch of stuff, but now I'm out of study time for a while. I am reasonably confident the re-configurations he has instructed will work out OK because the rest of his stuff has been good.
Nice of you to offer a helping hand.
Good luck from SteveMazuri in Cornwall, UK.
Cheers
Steve

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries Steve.

Thanks for the additional information. I understand your issue and frustration now. Although the Apple installations of PHP and MySQL are pretty much standard, they have tweaked a few file locations, configuration files, and symlinks, which are slightly different than other platforms and operating systems. This can definitely cause issues like you were experiencing. In addition, they have changed slightly over the years with different releases of Mac OS X.

Hopefully the new information he gave you will work for you. By no means am I an expert in PHP and MySQL, but I do have a little experience from my former days of running a very small web hosting company, which used PHP and MySQL for some dynamic web page content and a few databases which were part of online forum packages such as this one.

Feel free to ask any further questions. We will be glad to try to assist if we can.

Cheers,

C

Reaction score
You're very kind, Cory.
I'll keep in touch
I like your profile image. Your hair is longer than mine.
Cheers
Steve

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That profile image is cheating a bit...my real hair is in that position, but as short as a military cut. ;)

Be well,

C

Ask a Question