Super slow + flashing pink horizontal lines

Reaction score
Hi there!

Less than a year ago, I purchased a new "21.5-inch, Late 2013, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3" iMac. Compared to my previous iMac, which was just the basic version, it performed way slower from the very beginning. Couple months later, it started to flash these random pink-ish horizontal lines when the computer was struggling with some tasks, e.g. copying raw photographs, or even simpler tasks like loading a website while opening an excel file. All in all, the computer is painfully slow and the pink lines freak me out. I'm talking Windows Desktop 10 years ago kind of slow. Not something I expect from a brand new iMac.

Eventually, I took the computer to an Apple store but all I got there was advice to reboot the computer more often (sorry but the previous, weaker iMac could stay on for weeks without issues, but with this one I have to restart every day?). I also wasn't able to cause the pink lines to show up during the visit, as they usually come up hours after reboot.

The whole issue persists, as I expected, no matter how often I reboot. Yesterday, for example, I was moving photos from a folder to Photos app and the lines appeared repeatedly for hours while the computer moved at a VERY slow pace. I tried restarting, but the lines came back as soon as I even scrolled through pictures in Photos.

Any thoughts? I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    195.7 KB · Views: 390
Reaction score
When you say "new", was the machine actually brand new, and never used? It's a 2013 model, but you purchased it in 2015.

It seems like an issue with your internal drive. So, if you could answer some questions, we can possibly help you out.

1. Do you do backups to an external device? And when I say backup, I mean using either Time Machine, or a backup/cloning program like SuperDuper! (I use it) or Carbon Copy Cloner.

2. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs to the internal drive? Disk Utility is "OK" for that, but you need an external way to effectively use it. (If you have a more robust disk maintenance/repair program like TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior, that would be good).

3. How much free space is left on your internal drive?

4. Do you have either MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed? If you do, get rid of them IMMEDIATELY, as they cause more harm than good.

5. Do you have any anti-virus software installed? That will also tend to slow things down.

6. Not sure if this still applies, as I use EasyFind for my searches, but are you allowing Spotlight to index your internal drive? If that is still a "feature" of Spotlight, that will also slow things down.

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for such a quick response!

The computer should actually be new. It’s from an Apple store – walked in, said we wanted the model one level up from the basic (2.7 GHz), that’s it. I know, that’s ridiculous that it’s a 2013 model but I don’t think there was a newer option at the time as they showed the same model on the official website...?

So here are the answers:

1. I don’t use any backup program. We’ve been trying to keep this computer de-cluttered and the only major thing we store on it are photos which I also copy onto an external drive. But that’s just using normal file transfer.

2. I don’t think we’ve ever done any disk cleanup or such, unless the Apple Genius did during our visit. If we did, it would have been like 6 months ago when we were trying to get rid of this issue.

3. I’ve got 558 GB free out of 999 GB

4. I never installed either of those apps on the computer and search didn’t come up with them either.

5. No anti-virus installed.

6. In Spotlight’s settings, I don’t see any way to disable that function so maybe it’s not its feature anymore? (pls, see image)

As you see, I’m not really great with Macs haha. Up until just couple years ago, I was a Windows user. My wife uses the iMac for photo-editing and I just do day-to-day work on it. It’s pretty annoying to decide for such an investment and not be able to do the simplest tasks on it because of how dreadfully slow the computer is.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 10.57.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 10.57.46 AM.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 342
Reaction score
I'd be shocked if that was a "brand new" machine you got. I truly suspect it was refurbished, as Apple typically does tend to control their inventory real good, and in particular at their Apple Stores, they will sell out of the models. Of course, even if you purchased a refurbished model, they are "supposed" to certify it.

You really should get into the habit and make frequent backups. You can either do it with Time Machine (already part of the Mac OS), or better yet, purchase a backup/cloning program like SuperDuper! (only costs $27.95), or Carbon Copy Cloner (costs about $39). I use SuperDuper! for backing/cloning both of my Macs, and there have been times where it has been a life saver, and also "saved my bacon". Of course, you'll need an external drive for the backups.

I suspect the iMac model you have has a slow, 5400 rpm 1 TB drive inside of it, and that also will make the machine run slow. When I purchased my late 2012 Mac Mini, it came with a slow, 1 TB 5400 rpm internal drive (I actually did not need that much space). After using it for a couple of months (and somewhat "suffering" with how slow it was, even though I am very meticulous about disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs), I replaced it with a fast 256 gig, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and the speed difference was (and still is) amazing. I also installed that 1 TB drive inside a nice, slim external case, and that drive comes in handy when we travel.

For any kind of disk "maintenance" that was done, I truly suspect it was not "good enough", in that it was not done "externally", nor in an "isolated" manner. There are some tools you can use to improve the performance of both the drive and the machine, but you'll first need a reliable backup to an external device.

Reaction score
Hi again,

I really feel quite confident that the computer was new. It even cost exactly as much as the Canadian online store showed for the new computer with the same parameters.

What you say about the 1TB drive slowing down the Mac, that's actually the same thing we got told when we took the computer back. I just wish someone told us before we bought it. The lower level version of the older model worked great and it kills me to know that we paid more expecting even better performance and got basically a 10-year-old Windows desktop computer instead. Ugh.

Thanks for all your help. I'll eventually do some backup and might contact Apple again.

Have a great day!

Reaction score
Not sure if contacting Apple will help much. I suspect the machine worked fine (no horizontal lines) for the first 6 months or so after you purchased it. And, if you did not purchase any kind of "Extended" Apple Care, I suspect you are out of luck in terms of getting Apple to repair anything for free. About the only thing they "might" help with is checking out the health of the internal drive. Given that they did not do much for you the first time you took it in, I would be pessimistic at best if they can help you.

Of course, the other possibility (or even in addition to the hard drive) is there is something wrong regarding the video "pieces" (display itself, video card, etc.). Given that I have never owned an iMac, nor had any video issues, I am at a loss regarding that.

The first thing that needs to be determined is the health of the internal drive. But, even if it is "good" and/or can be "repaired", you might want to consider replacing it with an SSD drive. This link talks about that:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...grade-imac-hard-drive-aluminum-2012-2013.html

iMacs are not that "easy" to work on (the process for my Mac Mini was rather easy), so I of course don't know how handy you are, and if you are willing to tackle such a project.

Reaction score
No, it actually was slow and showing these lines less than 6 months after purchase which is when we took it to the Genius Bar but didn't get any help from them. I do actually still have Apple Care for couple more months so I'm gonna take it there again. At least I'll know I tried :)

Thanks again for your help!

Reaction score
No, it actually was slow and showing these lines less than 6 months after purchase which is when we took it to the Genius Bar but didn't get any help from them. I do actually still have Apple Care for couple more months so I'm gonna take it there again. At least I'll know I tried :)

Thanks again for your help!

Yeah, definitely take it in and "push" your case! You need to get them to resolve the issue.

Even with that, I strongly advise that you start making backups to an external device. And, an upgrade to an SSD would be wise also.

Reaction score
Hi,

I agree,
Less than a year ago, I purchased a new "21.5-inch, Late 2013, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3" iMac.

Book a GB appointment and don't leave until you satisfied.

One test you could do is to see if these pink lines are visible on an external display.

Reaction score
Hi,

I agree,

Book a GB appointment and don't leave until you satisfied.

One test you could do is to see if these pink lines are visible on an external display.

Excellent suggestion! And yeah, make sure you are 100% satisfied. They are required to resolve your issue, warranty or not.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just thought I would update this thread with the solution for anyone who might have this issue in the future.

I took the computer to the Genius Bar again and, this time, got really good customer service. I showed them a video of the flashing pink lines and it turned out to be the logic board. I got that replaced and haven't seen the lines since. It also seemed to have sped up the Mac a little bit.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!

Ask a Question