Strange Mac OS Error

Reaction score
Most folks know how careful I am with both of my Macs (a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 13" Mac Book Air). Yet, I had a strange issue earlier today with my Mac Mini.

For both of my Macs, I use the latest version of El Capitan, OS 10.11.6. I also insure that all my third party applications are kept up to date, along with my daily disk cleanup activities, and my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, and backup, processing. I actually did such weekly processing 2 days ago, and I have been using both of my machines without issues since then. About the only significant change I made was the successful installation of Office 2016 for the Mac on both of my Macs.

Well, when I booted my Mac Mini earlier today, I was greeted with the "Core Telephony Trace File Error" message contained in the following link:

http://www.macosxblog.com/how-to-fix-coretelephony-trace-file-error-on-mac/

I sure was baffled, as I was not getting this alert on my MacBook Air. The only application it seemed to be affecting was TechTool Pro, as I could not launch it. I actually did not look at the solutions stated in the link, but instead tried other things. Well, none of those successful. So, I went ahead and re-booted my Mac Mini from the SuperDuper! backup I had created 2 days ago. From there, I did the following:

1. Ran Disk Utility to check out the SSD inside my Mac Mini, and no issues were reported.

2. Used Disk Utility to Erase and Format the SSD.

3. Did a clean, "virgin" installation of El Capitan, V10.11.3, onto the SSD.

4. Use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy needed "stuff from the SuperDuper! backup.

5. Re-started the machine from the SSD, and applied the OS 10.11.6 Combo Updater.

6. Launched TechTool Pro and re-created the eDrive partition. Booted from that eDrive partition, and it worked flawlessly.

7. Re-booted the Mini from the SSD, launched 1Password, and "installed" it within Google Chrome.

7. Installed Office 2016 (the latest version, 15.27) on the Mini.

All of this went according to plan, and I am back in business. Not sure, though, why that error happened. I guess I could have tried one of the suggested solutions in the link, which would have saved me some time. But, I rather be safe than sorry.

I actually will go through that exact procedure when I upgrade to Sierra, OS 10.12.1, for both of my Macs. Of course, I will do that after my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, and backup, processing. I anticipate success.

Reaction score
Hi honestone,

One reason I know for producing this error is if a directory '/tmp is accidentally removed.

Reaction score
Hi honestone,

One reason I know for producing this error is if a directory '/tmp is accidentally removed.

Then some piece of software must have done it on my Mac Mini, but not on my MacBook Air. Fortunately, I have a rock-solid backup plan that I had used before.

Reaction score
Hi honestone,

Yes Know your backup strategy, ;)might be belt and brasses to some but you know you can always get your system back to how it was.:) Which is the most important thing.

And strange unexptected things do happen occasionally.

Reaction score
It's a shame how many folks have no backup strategy at all! They are just asking for trouble.

And yes, strange and unexpected events do happen at times, no matter how much preventive care/work one does!

Ask a Question