Strange external drive error

Reaction score
I have a 2TB GoFlex external drive formatted in for Time Machine which has been working fine for some time.

Today my macbook pro did not mount it but it was visible in Disk Utility and when I tried through the disk utility it said I had to repair it. However, it was unable to when I tried. This has been mentioned by many people in the past and I presumed meant the disk was kaput.

However, running hfsexplorer on my friend's PC the disk appears as normal, implying that the disk structure and journal is fine - no?

To make matters more confusing I then plugged in another external drive from a PC into my computer and it, too, refused to mount. I therefore thought that the computer was at fault, so tried another drive, formatted in Mac OS Extended, which worked fine.

Any ideas which way to go. I am certain I need to get a new disk but is it normal for the disk to show normally in hfsexplorer and not at all in finder?

Reaction score
Do you happen to have a more robust disk repair program, like either Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro? I have both, and they definitely come in handy. But, maybe first try another good program Data Rescue, to get as much good data off the drive as possible (you'll of course need another drive to place the rescued data onto). Then, if either Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro can't repair the disk, then unfortunately, the disk is kaput.

Ask a Question