software update error -1001 . AGH! driving me insane

Reaction score
I don't knoiw what to do! ever sinse I did the update today, it's giving me "network error has occured: timed out (-1001)" . my internet connection is fine! nothing has changed... anyone else getting this? I've already restarted my computer.

it was the latest security update, i've already tried disabling my firewall... I'm on the latest version of mac os X... i've tried other forums and can't find an answer anywhere.. and there is no way I'm paying money for an applecare account for just one question.

p.s: (does anyone know of a way to contact apple support without having to pay for an account?)

p.p.s: (if all else fails):

i've read dozens of posts of people with this exact same problem on other forums and not one solution. maybe I'm a natural born pesimist but I'm doubtfull that my case will be any different...

I've come up with 3 solutions:

1) is there a part of the mac website where i can download the updates directly?

2) if any of you have apple care or an apple account to post in their forum or email apple...

3) would it be safe to reboot my computer/re-install mac os x? would my programs/settings be deleted if i do so? (and how do i go about doing this)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

because this is a Software Update problem...

First try and delete it's preference file.

Trash the com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist file in your Home > Library > Preferences folder.

Then empy the trash and restart...

See if that is any better.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
thanks... but still no luck.. it's really weird... i have no clue where the problem is coming from.. is there any way to re-install software update or something?

Reaction score
How are you connected to the net (via router or modem). Are you broadband or dialup? We need to look at your network settings later, but for now, have you tried emptying caches and repairing permissions?

Ask a Question