Slow running macbook

Reaction score
I've got a mid 2010 MacBook 2.4ghz, it's running 10.9.4 software and it is incredibly slow. I've run

Mac help it fixed some stuff, I've deleted my items at startup, download the latest software update,

And run etresoft/check, in the report back, the 2 GB memory came back red as well as time machine

Not being turned on. I'm thinking of doubling the memory(2 2gb), is that a good decision?, will it

help return the MacBook to a normal operating speed

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Adding more ram is always a good thing but can't really comment on why your MacBook is running slow or whether adding ram will make it more responsive … depends on what apps you run. Don't know what Mac help is other than this website and never heard of etresoft/check.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Two of the most common causes of slowness on a Mac are not enough free hard drive space and anti-virus apps running in real-time - i.e. on-access scanning.

EtreCheck seems like an app that simply creates a text-based log of your system specs and highlights possible issues in red...correct?

C

Reaction score
Yes, EtreCheck is a good, free tool for checking your Mac's status. Here is a link to download it:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/48217/etrecheck

2 Gig of RAM is rather "small" to try and run Mavericks, so an upgrade to 4 gig would definitely be a good thing.

Now, from what I read about the original specs of the hard drive inside your Mac, it came with a (slow) 250 gig 5400 rpm drive. Besides what Corey Cooper said above about common causes of slowness, the slow 5400 rpm speed of your drive does not help either.

When I purchased my Mac Mini last July (2013), it originally had a slow 1 TB 5400 rpm hard drive. Last November, I made the wise choice and replaced it with a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD (the 1 TB drive went into a nice, slim external case). Am I glad I did! The difference in speed is awesome, and the machine "only" has 4 gig of RAM. I am running Mavericks also, now up to version 10.9.5.

Also, the 1 TB drive, inside the slim external case, comes in handy when we travel. I have 3 partitions on it: one is for backing up my 13" MacBook Air, one contains quite a few movies and TV series, and the 3rd one is a spare one right now, with nothing on it. Hence, long airplane rides are not boring, nor nights inside a hotel/motel!

So, to both address the sped and (most likely, and hopefully only issue) the "tight" space, you should upgrade the Ram to 4 gig, and install a 256 gig SSD inside the machine (and put the 250 gig drive inside an external case). Here is a link to ifixit that has guides for both installing RAM, and installing another drive:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Unibody_Model_A1342

Note that by doing that, you'll double your hard disk space, and you could move some of the apps and/or data/document files onto the external drive. That of course could free up quite a bit of space on the 256 gig SSD.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mavericks works fine in 2Gig, that may not be the problem.
Don't be taking a screwdriver to your Mac unless you an trained Apple Service Technician, not sure why someone here would recommend such a thing.

Start by checking your Console Logs to see if any process is reporting errors.

Reaction score
I never said that the problem is with using only 2 gig of Ram. But, even before Mavericks came out, 2 gig was OK, but 4 gig was better. Here is one such link:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2052602/get-your-mac-ready-for-mavericks-os-x-10-9.html

Also, trying to run other applications under Mavericks will be slow with only 2 gig of Ram installed. Those other apps would have to rely on Virtual Memory to execute, and the more than is the case, the slower they will run (and especially with 5400 rpm drives).

5400 rpm drives are notoriously slow, especially as they get more and more full. Even faster drives can be "problematic", especially with all the stories I've read about folks neglecting simple maintenance and clean up tasks. And, no matter what one does, drives do become more and more worn out as time passes. Prime example: I have an external Seagate drive that I've been using for over 6 years, primarily for backups. About 6 months ago, the 500 gig Seagate drive inside the case stopped functioning. No matter what I did to check it out externally (via software), I could not get it to work. So, based on prior experience, and asking around, I concluded that the drive needed to be replaced. So, I took the case apart, removed the old drive, purchased a 1 TB Seagate drive from Best Buy for only $50, installed it inside the case, and I was up and running. Still am using that external drive today for my backups.

So, assuming the op got his Macbook over 4 years ago, the drive could be "showing its age". Even if it's still OK, a boost to a 256 gig SSD is well worth it, especially if 1) the drive is getting old, and 2) the op is "tight" on disk space. And, the speed difference is incredible!

As for "putting a screwdriver to your Mac", those ifixit guides are excellent! I've known numerous folks that swear by them also. If I had followed your advice, then when the hard drive inside my Mac Pro failed about 5 years, I would not have replaced it with a brand new, larger, and faster drive myself, but instead taken to an Apple dealer and have them do it, and thus costing way more $$$$$ (and losing a great opportunity to know more about the insides of my Mac).

If one is not a DIY person, fine, don't try and repair a Mac yourself. But, I am a DIY person, both with my Macs and other things (like our cars, our home, appliances, etc.). Quite a bit of the DIY stuff I do is not really difficult. In fact, installing memory inside of a Mac is one of the easiest things one can do. Another simple DIY project is changing the Cabin Air Filter inside a car. The cost to have the dealer do it is at least between 2 and 3 times what I can do it for myself.

In actuality, the first thing the op needs to do is see how much space is left on the drive. That is real easy to do. In the finder, single click on the drive's icon, then go to the File menu, and click on Get Info. Beyond that, checking the Console log, etc, is all well and good. But, another thing the op needs is software that can do a better job of analyzing hard drives. The two best ones are Disk Warrior and Tech Tool Pro. Either of them can do things with hard drives to help make them "healthy" again!

Last edited:

Ask a Question