Siera update...HELPPP

Reaction score
I made the "usual" update onOSX from AppleStore ...bad bad ideia .... instalation freezes and try allready 3 new installs amd get the same thing on image 1. After a few time if i touch keyboard get the error on image 2.
Try the shift key to security modenot working,
I can get to the menu on image 3 were i perform allready the 3 reeinstalls with no sucess...i go there using ctrl alt P R
PLEASE HELP ME
Can i eject the image of OSX like seen on image 4, will that make it reverse to the preious version???
If not what can i do, so affraid to lose my data, mac user for late 2004 and never seen this.
I have an iMac late 2009 passed the mac test for Siera.

Thnx

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 218
Reaction score
As best I can tell, the current situation is a job for experts. The Apple Store, or a local Mac tech.

There is a silver lining to this unfortunate experience. It will inspire you to always have backups, and to learn how to safely test any new Mac OS. Those skills will serve you well for decades to come. Something good will come of this.

Reaction score
Ormond is right on the money, Omegastar. If you had a recent backup (or backups), we could have offered you some advice as to how to proceed. It would have involved "working" on the stuff on your internal drive. But, depending on what the issue (or issues) is, that can lead to potential disaster, and thus a backup is critical.

If you read the post yesterday I made about that strange "CoreTelephony Trace File Error" issue I had, you will see that a backup sure saved my bacon!

Reaction score
OmegaStar, not that this helps much now, but know that what happened is not really your fault. Like millions of others, you did what Apple told you to do.

When you ran the installer, did Apple tell you to make sure you have a backup first? No, they didn't. When you ran the installer, did Apple suggest you test the new OS on a 2nd drive to make sure it would work for you in your situation? No, they didn't.

For decades now Macs have been sold as being point and click simple, and so Apple has acquired millions of customers who are not technicians. It's not these people's fault if when they do what Apple tells them to do they wind up having to hire technicians.

If you have access to an Apple Store, start there. If that won't work, look for a Mac group in your area, and ask them who the best Mac techs are in your area. If that doesn't work, call all the Mac shops in your town and ask them if they are certified to do Apple warranty work. If none of that works, post again and maybe we can brainstorm up some other solutions.

Reaction score
Again, Ormond is right on the money with his post.

As I remarked in another thread, I always think of the comparison between Macs and Toyotas. Both are reliable, proven brands that one can trust. But still they need maintenance, ie, "tender loving care". I have a 2013 Toyota Camry, one of the most reliable cars ever made. In fact, I remember when I purchased one in 1996, the typical saying was "trouble-free car". That was/is certainly true, but still one needs to do some basic "things" themselves, like checking tire pressure pressure, changing windshield wipers, knowing the location (or locations) of fuses, etc. And of course making sure to maintain the vehicle with regular scheduled maintenance. Well, Macs are no different

Reaction score
Honestone, unfortunely this "Toyota" we have are becoming into fake china "CARS"
Like Ormond said and very on the that spot,
Apple is loosing all Steve and is team acomplished in the last decades. I,m shure that this money catch philosophy will not last long, and new "kings" will soon emerge.

Reaction score
My Toyota Camry runs like a charm, and so do both of my Macs. But, I make the effort to keep such machines in tip top shape.

Reaction score
I do believe your Toyota will last forever with those small cares...about your macs the care they start demanding are prety close to those long back windows days i,ve hated so much...i allways believe that the greatest asset for Macs were the OSX quality...just take a sneak peak on the web (apple suport) and we all can see what is happening with Sierra...Macs were allways about the easy maintenance (and design)...not for falling down in an official system upgrade.
One upgrade ago i was also like you ...confident and proud of my machine...proud enough in my macine OS not to be affraid of losing data resulting from an upgrade directly from the Apple Store...i get my lesson for the trust i planted on the fruit...

Reaction score
That is why with Yosemite and El Capitan, I did not upgrade directly from the Apple store. I downloaded the new OS, made a copy in another location, made my (usual) SuperDuper! backup, booted from that backup, used Disk Utility there to Erase and Re-Format my SSD, and then I installed the new OS (ie, a "virgin" installation). I will follow the exact same process with Sierra (already did the first two steps). However, I will wait for OS 10.12.1, and when TechTool Pro has an upgrade for Sierra compatibility.

Ask a Question