screensaver won't launch, display won't sleep

Reaction score
On my wife's older Intel iMac (10.6) it now won't launch the screensaver or put the display to sleep. Using a hot corner to shut off the display, it will pop back on in a minute or 2... it started about the same time we started using it as our wireless router (she is hardwired to the modem, 5 other devices connect through her airport), and around the same time as we got our 2 iPhone 5. I have been trying to convince her that her 3 year old iMac is outdated and needs replacing. She doesn't think so...

I have gone through prefs and made sure that nothing in power saver, etc could be causing this.

Any ideas???

Reaction score
On my wife's older Intel iMac (10.6) it now won't launch the screensaver or put the display to sleep. Using a hot corner to shut off the display, it will pop back on in a minute or 2... it started about the same time we started using it as our wireless router (she is hardwired to the modem, 5 other devices connect through her airport), and around the same time as we got our 2 iPhone 5. I have been trying to convince her that her 3 year old iMac is outdated and needs replacing. She doesn't think so...

I have gone through prefs and made sure that nothing in power saver, etc could be causing this.

Any ideas???
and BTW: although I am new to this forum, I have been using macs since apple II and am very familiar with their software, operating systems and hardware. Please don't respond with "have I restarted" etc...

Ask a Question