SanDisk Flash Drives Not Recognized

Reaction score
I am hoping to get some assistance on this "weird" issue. I did post it on an Apple Support forum, but got no response. Finally, not exactly sure if the problem is hardware related and/or System Software (Preference settings in Yosemite?) issue. Let me explain.

I have two recent Macs: a late 2012 Core i7 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 13" Mac Book Air. I use OS 10.10.2 (latest version of Yosemite) on each one, I keep both of them "mean and clean", keep up to date with all software, do backups once a week, do disk repair/maintenance once a week, etc., etc. The Mac Mini has 4 USB 3.0 ports, a Thunderbolt port, and a Firewire 800 port (there are other ports, but not related to disks). The Mac Book Air has 2 USB 3.0 ports, and a Thunderbolt port. I have 2 SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drives, 32 gb and 64 gb in size. They are both formatted as Mac OS Extended, and are empty. Nothing is connected to either Thunderbolt port.

On my Mac Book Air, they mount fine, and can be seen both on my desktop and in Disk Utility (on one of the USB 3.0 ports, I have the little USB "Receiver" that I use for my Logitech M325 Wireless Mouse). But, on my Mac Mini, no matter which USB port I use, I cannot "see" either of them in Disk Utility, nor on the Desktop. Yet, on the Mini, when I do an "About This Mac...", then a "System Report...", and then "USB", I can see the Flash Drive under one of the "USB High Speed Bus" choices. This even occurs when I disconnect all the unneeded peripheral devices from the Mini (I still leave the monitor connected, along with my Apple Keyboard, and the USB "receiver" for my Logitech M310 Wireless Mouse). I even tried the Logitech M325 Wireless Mouse, but got the same result.

It is really baffling! Surprisingly, I have an older 17" MacBook Pro laptop on which I have OS 10.6.8 (last version of Snow Leopard), and both flash drives mount on that machine fine. So, I am stumped as to what the issue with the Mac Mini can be. Any other USB peripheral that I am using with the Mac Mini is fine (keyboard, an external drive (via a USB 2.0 cable), a hub, and as I stated, the USB receiver for the mouse).

This is not a "big" deal, as if I need to get anything from the Mini to one of the Flash Drives, I have a portable external USB 2.0 drive that I just connect to the Mini, copy the file from the Mini to that drive, disconnect the drive and connect it to the Mac Book Air, copy the file to the Air's desktop, disconnect the drive, connect the Flash Drive, and finally copy the file to the Flash Drive. (I have another way to do it, but it is almost as "convoluted"). But, sure would like a simpler solution on the Mini!

So, any advice/assistance/information, etc. would be most appreciated!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I can't promise anything honestone … I'm still using Mac OS 10.7.6 so absolutely zero experience with Yosemite.

It's weird that the SanDisc is listed under USB in System Report but invisible in Disc Utility & Finder on your Mac Mini.

If you open a Finder window the disc isn't listed under Devices in the left pane? That's if Yosemite even has a left pane …

What if the SanDisc was unformatted would it mount do you think? It might be worth a try …

Clutching at the proverbial here!

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Spawn_Dooley, that did not change anything. The drives are still not showing up on the Mac Mini.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Indeed, that is strange.

-Maybe try partitioning them as Apple Partition Map instead of GUID and then formatting as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?
-Are there any USB ports on the monitor connected to the Mac mini? If so, have you tried them?
-Do you happen to have a powered USB 3.0 hub that you could connect and try?

-You could also try resetting the SMC:

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
I will let you know if I think of anything else.

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Spawn_Dooley, that did not change anything. The drives are still not showing up on the Mac Mini.

Did you totally erase the drive then Partition it before Formatting it?

If possible, try formatting on a PC as MS DOS the connecting it to see if it's recognised, you can always then erase & partition/format the SanDisc drive for Mac.

Reaction score
Indeed, that is strange.

-Maybe try partitioning them as Apple Partition Map instead of GUID and then formatting as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?
-Are there any USB ports on the monitor connected to the Mac mini? If so, have you tried them?
-Do you happen to have a powered USB 3.0 hub that you could connect and try?

-You could also try resetting the SMC:

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
I will let you know if I think of anything else.

C

My machines are Intel based, so GUID is the preferred partitioning scheme. Also, I can't see how both Flash Drives mount on my 2013 Mac Book Air running OS10.10.2, and my older 17" Mac Book Pro running OS 10.6.8, but not on the Mini. And, other USB devices work fine on the Mini.

There are no USB ports on the monitor. I do have a powered USB 2.0 hub. I di try connecting the drives to that, but the same result.

I'll try resetting the SMC on the Mini, and see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions.

Reaction score
Did you totally erase the drive then Partition it before Formatting it?

If possible, try formatting on a PC as MS DOS the connecting it to see if it's recognised, you can always then erase & partition/format the SanDisc drive for Mac.

Yes, I did. I don't have a PC, nor access to one.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The drive is recognised as being connected in System Profiler but not by Finder nor will Disc Utility mount the drive …

Have you tried using Terminal?

Reaction score
The drive is recognised as being connected in System Profiler but not by Finder nor will Disc Utility mount the drive …

Have you tried using Terminal?

No, I have not. If you could let me know what Terminal commands to use, that would be great!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
My machines are Intel based, so GUID is the preferred partitioning scheme. Also, I can't see how both Flash Drives mount on my 2013 Mac Book Air running OS10.10.2, and my older 17" Mac Book Pro running OS 10.6.8, but not on the Mini. And, other USB devices work fine on the Mini.

There are no USB ports on the monitor. I do have a powered USB 2.0 hub. I di try connecting the drives to that, but the same result.

I'll try resetting the SMC on the Mini, and see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions.
As a sidenote:

partition.jpg

You can actually use either GUID or APM if you are only storing files. GUID is required for startup disks on Intel Macs and APM is required for startup disks on Power-PC Macs. GUID can be used for storing files on OS X 10.4 or later machines, and APM for any Mac.

It is strange that they mount on the other two Macs and not the mini...even with different OS versions. Sounds like the flash drives are working normally and the mini is having trouble reading them for some reason. (I know, obvious)

Maybe a PRAM reset and/or disk permissions repair?

One other thing to try...try inserting one very slowly - several seconds. Sometimes that can get them to mount.

C

Reaction score
As a sidenote:

partition.jpg

You can actually use either GUID or APM if you are only storing files. GUID is required for startup disks on Intel Macs and APM is required for startup disks on Power-PC Macs. GUID can be used for storing files on OS X 10.4 or later machines, and APM for any Mac.

It is strange that they mount on the other two Macs and not the mini...even with different OS versions. Sounds like the flash drives are working normally and the mini is having trouble reading them for some reason. (I know, obvious)

Maybe a PRAM reset and/or disk permissions repair?

One other thing to try...try inserting one very slowly - several seconds. Sometimes that can get them to mount.

C

Yeah, I read that about GUID and APM also. But, GUID works on the other two Macs.

I do a disk permissions repair every Saturday on both of my machines as part of my disk maintenance/cleanup/repair/backup processing. I guess I could try a PRAM reset, but with every other USB device working flawlessly on the Mini, I suspect that will not make any difference.

Finally, I already tried slowly inserting each Flash Drive, but that did not work either.

Update: just did a PRAM reset, but still no luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This command will list all connected drives

Code:
diskutil list

I found it here, including the command to mount a connected unmounted drive:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/13/mount-unmount-drives-from-the-command-line-in-mac-os-x/

fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, no luck again! The diskutil list command only showed 1) my 256 gig SSD inside the Mac Mini, and 2) the external 1 TB drive attached to the mini through the Firewire 800 port. I did that command twice, inserting the first flash drive, and then the second one. Still no luck.

Also, did not see a command to mount a connected unmounted drive (apparently, neither flash drive is "connected").

And, earlier today, to again confirm, I booted up the 17" MacBook Pro with OS 10.6.8, and the drives mounted fine.

When I have the chance, I am going to take the Flash Drives into an Apple Store (or Best Buy), and if there is a Mac Mini on display, I'll try the drives there and see what happens. Really, really baffling, to say the least!

Last edited:
Reaction score
One other thing I did was to check for any firmware updates to my Mac Mini, but I am up to date with that.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Attach the drive then open Console & have a look at what is logged. There should be something there explaining in computer speak as to why the drive isn't being mounted.

I know this sounds weird but after you check Console open a Finder window & look under Devices …

Have you tried swapping the cables? Are you using a Hub?

Reaction score
OK, here is what the Console said with messages "surrounding" the one about the SanDisk:

"3/25/15 7:32:29.000 PM kernel[0]: SATSMARTDriver v0.7: disk is not SAT capable
3/25/15 7:32:29.000 PM kernel[0]: IOBlockStorageDriver: not registry member at registerService()
3/25/15 7:32:30.000 PM kernel[0]: SanDisk Ultra Media: not registry member at registerService()
3/25/15 7:32:33.480 PM Console[421]: Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable
3/25/15 7:33:54.651 PM Console[439]: Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable
3/25/15 7:37:11.678 PM LCCDaemon[228]: Opening Logitech Updater in automatic mode"

I then opened another Finder window, and still did not see the SanDisk drive under Devices.

I have been plugging in each SanDisk Ultra Media drive into various USB ports on the Mini itself. Thus, no cables are involved. I previously tried plugging in each one of the San Disk drives on one of the USB ports on a hub I use, but again they didm not mount.

Thus, it looks like the culprit is:

"3/25/15 7:32:30.000 PM kernel[0]: SanDisk Ultra Media: not registry member at registerService()"

Don't know what that means.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I have been plugging in each SanDisk Ultra Media drive into various USB ports on the Mini itself. Thus, no cables are involved. I previously tried plugging in each one of the San Disk drives on one of the USB ports on a hub I use, but again they didm not mount.

Oh I see, they are a type of thumb drive as opposed to a USB/Firewire cable attached ext HD

Can you try a previous version of SATSMARTDriver?

https://github.com/kasbert/OS-X-SAT-SMART-Driver/issues/13

Reaction score
Oh I see, they are a type of thumb drive as opposed to a USB/Firewire cable attached ext HD

Can you try a previous version of SATSMARTDriver?

https://github.com/kasbert/OS-X-SAT-SMART-Driver/issues/13

That link discusses that driver with Mavericks. When previously did a Google search on "kernel[0]: SanDisk Ultra Media: not registry member at registerService()", one of the links mentioned something about not being able to update the driver. I can't seem to find that link. I still might try it anyway, but I'll wait until after I do my (usual) SuperDuper! backup on Saturdays.

Still bizarre, though, that this problem does not occur on my Mac Book Air, which also runs under 10.10.2.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...

At some point you must have installed the OS X SAT SMART driver, since it is a third party kernel extension (kext) and not part of the OS. It enables access to S.M.A.R.T. info on external drives that aren't natively supported in OS X.

3/25/15 7:32:29.000 PM kernel[0]: SATSMARTDriver v0.7: disk is not SAT capable

You are running version 0.7. The latest is 0.10. Maybe you could try updating to the latest version, even though you may have found info regarding other versions and Mavericks. Or, you could try uninstalling it and see if the issue is resolved. You can always reinstall later, especially since you have a backup.

Uninstall
=========

* Remove driver and plugin
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTDriver.kext
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin
* Reboot

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory!

On my MacBook Air, I only have the plugin file. (I am typing this on the Air now). I'll look later on the Mac Mini and see if I also have the Driver file. I do not remember doing a separate SMART driver installation, but I guess that is possible. If both files are there, I'll just remove the Driver file first, and see if that works.

By the way, the version .8 file is at the App store, but I did find Version .10 at another site.

Last edited:

Ask a Question