Safe Files To Delete & Compressing Files?

Reaction score
Okay so apparently my startup disk is almost full, so I'm deleting and compressing files. bout i have a couple questions;

- if i compress some audio files i have on my mac, will i still be able to play them in iTunes? ""& movies?
- What are some files i can delete off of my "Macintosh HD" that won't screw up my computer,
- if i delete an audio/video file off of the downloads folder will it still play in iTunes?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Okay so apparently my startup disk is almost full, so I'm deleting and compressing files.

Are you able to buy an external drive to take on some of the overload? It would be a better option in the long run.

bout i have a couple questions;

- if i compress some audio files i have on my mac, will i still be able to play them in iTunes? ""& movies?

What it the current format of these files and what method of compression are you using?

- What are some files i can delete off of my "Macintosh HD" that won't screw up my computer,

Clean Up and Revive Your Bloated, Sluggish Mac

Monolingual

- if i delete an audio/video file off of the downloads folder will it still play in iTunes?

It depends on what you have set up in iTunes ~> Preferences ~> Advanced Tab. The image below is my own setup and I have a tick next to "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library".

20120308-dre4h8g8a3m53csdgfnpe2hqmx.preview.jpg

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

If you have a tick next to this box then whatever is sitting in your downloads folder is a duplicate once you have added the file to iTunes.

Above all, you must ensure you have a backup of all your important files before you start to resolve your situation.

Ask a Question