Running OS X Server, Having Issues: A Memoir

Reaction score
Hello, I am Notcho. . . I just started running OS X Server yesterday. I'll admit it was a whim, and I wanted to see what my Macbook Pro could do with it. I know now that I probably don't have enough RAM, and there are a few other considerations. (It's running on a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 4 GB Duo.)
The biggest problem, though, both today and yesterday was that in the evening the computer started to get noticeably slower. Upon investigation, it had over 300 GB stored on it (not locatable by me). I had given it a clean install that morning. Now, I had been using it as a Time Machine backup for my Macbook Air, but I switched that to a 2 TB Seagate hard drive that is connected to the Pro. (And my Air can't generate 300 GB of backup in a day.)
So the Air is backing up wirelessly to the hard drive attached to the Pro. The Pro is also backing up to the hard drive. Blah blah blah... You don't need to know my whole backup plan.
The server app is generating a LOT of logs with errors and saying device not configured and INIT transmit failed... It basically just scrolls, and I think I should probably do something about it before it blows itself up. Seeing a lot of weird reason 2, so no such file..... Anyone know anything about this?

Reaction score
OS X Server
is really a pro app, and there are 1,000s of things that could be wrong.

You might be downloading ALL the updates for ALL models if you've accidentally set it as an update server.

device not configured and INIT transmit failed..
what APP saying this

Ask a Question