SOLVED Problems with El Capitan

Reaction score
Since upgrading to El Capitan, I suddenly cannot open certain Pages Documents. A pop-up tells me that the required index.xml file is missing (whatever that means). How can I fix this.

Reaction score
Hi. Have same experience. Mac iMac Air 13 from 2012 refuse to start. Just running the "come on" dot.

Reaction score
Hello arbusx! Captain since the release has had MANY bugs! It is apples most buggy update. Sadly, nothing to this point can be done.

But! What you can do to help apple out is go to their website and send a bug report. That helps them know what to fix in future updates!

- Jordan

Reaction score
I have mentioned, in other threads, the issues with the initial release of El Capitan, OS 10.11 (I did download it on the 30th for both of my machines, but have yet to install it). Probably the most "glaring" one is that back in August, an upgrade, OS 10.11.1, was developed, and has been in beta testing for over 1 month. Also, some apps are still not upgraded yet for El Capitan. The two critical ones for me are Onyx, and TechTool Pro.

As I see more and more reports of issues with the initial release, OS 10.11, that came out last Wednesday, I am leaning more and more to wait for the 10.11.1 upgrade to be released. I am still on 10.10.5, running smoothly.

Reaction score
Thank you for your remarks on - as I see it - the bad quality of El Capitan. Strange that we still are clients of a brand that send product yet not ready!

Can anyone tell me about a link with a guide to uninstall El capitan and reinstall Yosemite?

Tom, Apple client since the first mac arrived! Should really be rewarded with a better and better product

Reaction score
I have been using Apple products since 1983, starting with the venerable Apple IIE, then upgrading to a IIGS, and then to Macs. I have also been using mostly third party software on all of the machines I have owned. In all that time, and from what I can remember, this is the first OS that problematic at the beginning. And, unless I am mistaken, I believe it is the first OS for which an upgrade came out well ahead of the initial release. (Actually, when I saw that in August, I already started to have concerns).

I will say, though, that after insuring that all my software was upgraded for whatever new OS was coming out, the upgraded to the new OS has always gone smoothly for me. Of course, I do take care of my machines from a software perspective, and also use tools to make sure my hardware (specifically disk drives) is functioning fine. That goes a long way towards minimizing issues.

In actuality, except for a needed upgrade for Onyx and Tech Tool Pro (Microsoft released one for Office 2011 the other day), I would think an upgrade for mw would be smooth, especially given that I do not use many Apple products. In fact, about the only one I use occasionally is Disk Utility.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The Pages error you are getting is a result of having Pages 4.x in Yosemite trying to open a Pages 5.x document. You need to update to Pages 5.x via the App Store.

You may have both versions on your Mac. To check:

Applications > iWork > Pages 4.x
Applications > Pages 5.x

If you have both, open Pages 5.x, then open the document.

C

Ask a Question