Problems Problems Problems

Reaction score
Hi

I'm having trouble trying to take a screenshot to post for the AS tutorial thread.

I hit cmd+shift+3 and nothing happens. :confused:

So I deleted my Finder preferences and it still doesn't work.

Also everytime (well most times) I open up preview it doesn't respond causing me to locate it's preferences and delete them which solves the problem, but gets quite irritating the 9th time you do it.

Any thoughts on what's causing Panther to play up?

Reaction score
Having just looked at the time it said 5.46 and the clock on my wall said 8.00 so i moved my cursor over to click it (as you do) and noticed the beachball. I soon realized that my iTunes had crashed because I opened it when my iPod was docked(that old problem again) and it has crashed half of my computer but I was still able to run safari and other apps.

So I re-docked my iPod and after a 20 second pause and lots of fan noise I got a back log of about 100 screenshots and a lot of beeps lol. :D

Everything seems fine now but I think I'll run repair permissions as it's been awhile and it might solve my preview problem.

Ric

Reaction score
Good, glad you've fixed it, still early for me yet 5 hours sleep in the last two days !!

Need more caffeine ! Dodgy cable again ?

D: there is new iPod software+iTunes available for downloading not sure if you've seen it, makes podcasting easier !

5.46am

• Revising
  • Just getting in from a good party
  • Playing poker !
  • Just like getting up early !
  • I'm an insomniac !

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Mounted iPods seem to cause a lot of folks problems. Did your issue only happen when your iPod was connected? Is Disk Mode enabled on your iPod?

C

Reaction score
It always happens when my iPod is docked and I launch iTunes, such as I've quit itunes after using it and relaunch it when the iPod os still docked.

And yes, my iPod has disk mode enabled.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

See... :D

Try running without the iPod connected for a few days and see if the issue happens...

C

Reaction score
I know that the iPod is the problem, because every single time I launch iTunes with the iPod docked it crashes and without it it's just fine.

The problem i have is when I dock my iPod iTunes loads up....and When i'm done I quit it and leave the iPod docked to charge.

Then when i want to use iTunes again I load it up with the iPod docked and that's when the problem occurs.

to resolve it I simply take the iPod out and re-insert it, that forces quits iTunes and relaunches it.

Ric

Reaction score
My 2c...a few alternatives !

If possible try your iPod on someone elses Mac, does the same problem occur, try it on a few Mac's if possible, may work fine on some and not others !

This will tell you if the problem is the iPod.

iPods generally don't play nice if there are other 'devices' plugged into the Mac, whether USB or Firewire, for the sake of argument unplug everything except keyboard and mouse (unplug that USB Modem !!!!) and try the iPod, do a restart after unplugging everything and then plug in the iPod !!

Wipe the iPod with the iPod Software Updater (Applications/Utilitites or redownload from Apple) then put all your songs back on etc...

Wipe the Mac, wipe the iPod, and with 'just' the Apple loaded software does the problem occur !! (try with and without other devices plugged in !

Danster said:
Hi

I'm having trouble trying to take a screenshot to post for the AS tutorial thread.

I hit cmd+shift+3 and nothing happens.

So I deleted my Finder preferences and it still doesn't work.

Also everytime (well most times) I open up preview it doesn't respond causing me to locate it's preferences and delete them which solves the problem, but gets quite irritating the 9th time you do it.

Any thoughts on what's causing Panther to play up?

To go back to your original post....

The best bit of advise I can give you is when a problem occurs do a restart, and then try to replicate the problem !

Always make sure the Application is not open before throwing away the prefs, and then restart the Mac, this is just good practice !

Ric

Ask a Question