Problems opening folders

Reaction score
It all started when a colleague gave me a 4MB USB key drive with about 10 folders, each holding 6 jpegs + 1 word .doc we were working with.

I copied all the contents on to my Macbook desktop as a folder named "Pix from Nick". I then tried opening each of the folders (call them 1-10) inside that. Some (#s 1-6) opened, but others (#s 7-10) didn't. When I clicked on those folders' icons, the folder started to open, I very briefly saw the contents, but then the folder closed back up and I was left at the finder.

I then tried opening some of the files in those folders from Preview and noticed that Preview could not open the files in those folders either. It couldn't even get into them to see the files.

I let it all sit.

A few weeks later, I cleaned up my desktop and placed the big folder ("Pix from Nick" which contained Folders #1-10) into another big folder called "Important Project" that was already on my desktop.

So I tried to open the bigger folder (Important Project) and now I cannot open that one. Same thing happens with the IMPORTANT PROJECT folder that was happening with those dysfunctional ones (#s 7-10).

Problem is, I need to get to all the other important documents inside the Important Project folder.

So what do I do? I put the "Important Project" Folder inside Another folder called LEO and, guess what, I cannot open the LEO folder either!!!!

BUT WAIT, there's more... NOW I CANNOT OPEN THE DESKTOP FROM THE FINDER EITHER !

Just ran ClamXav to search for viruses in the LEO folder, and it found none. Will do a full scan of all my Documents.

Before I do any more damage, please help.

But WAIT, call now and get a strange jack in the box icon for free!

I noticed that in my Firefox Downloads window, all the MS Word docs have jack in the box icons. I searched this in the forum and found it addressed here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=340588
But I've never seen this before today. Coincidence?

Many thanks in advance
Leo

macbook/OS10.4.11

Ask a Question