Pro Retina Died, Booted 2 Months Later but Recently Died Again

Reaction score
Hello! I realize my title is strange but I think my situation is unique. I'm going to give you some history and maybe you can help me out.

I have a late 2012 13" pro retina. In Dec 2013 I spilled water on it and paid for a new logic board (which TIL is likely a refurbished part). Jump to July 2015, I do a software update and all looks well until it's time to restart and my laptop decides not to. The light on the charger turns on when I plug it in, and it changed from red to green so that still works. I bring it to the apple store thinking it was a software issue and they tell me it's water damage and need to buy a new logic board. I tell them that's impossible but they insist and show me a picture of a tiny water mark on the underside of my logic board. I don't have applecare and I refuse to pay for another logic board so I laid my laptop to rest in it's case on a shelf.

In mid September I decide what the hay and try to turn my Macbook on and it actually rises from the dead! I figure I should probably never restart it and made sure it always had enough juice to get by. Thing is, I hadn't updated the software in a long time (It was still on Mountain Lion) and I can't sync my phone with it because I need to update iTunes which can't be done without a software update. It had been working well since it booted up a few weeks ago so I decided last night to try to update the software and the same thing happened as before. The software update process went just fine until it was time to restart. It shuts down and that's it. Charging still works but it won't turn on. My laptop is once again sitting in it's case on a shelf.

I realize now I made some mistakes. I should have double checked exactly what version of my OS was running. I also should have tried to do a restart first before doing the software update. There was probably some diagnostic tool I could have used. Maybe tried to reinstall my OS. I didn't even check if I had Time Machine on..

I probably do need a new logic board but I can't afford one and I don't think it's worth $700 at this point. I also can't accept the idea of replacing an entire logic board without knowing what failed.

Any clue as to what could be doing this?

Reaction score
Small update: I just tried to turn it on again. Didn't work but I held it to my ear and I heard a faint vroom for a second.

Ask a Question