Photos -

Reaction score
Many of you are probably tired of hearing or reading this from people, but I am NOT a technie at all. I do try but that doesn't help me much. I have a MacBook Air and have lots and lots of photos on it. Yesterday, when I clicked on the photo icon on the bottom of my page, I got a little rectangle with the words "closing the library". I could not access my photos. When I started to turn the computer off last night, it asked if I wanted to shut down "closing the library". I wasn't sure what to do so I left it on, but the same thing was on my screen this morning. I did see some suggestions about this "closing the library" on here, but I haven't found anything that's working for me and not sure I'm doing it all right. Would some kind person who appreciates perhaps that I learned to type on an old manual typewriter way back in the olden days please help me with this. Thank you so much for any help at all. I love sharing my photos.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Not tired at all...that's why we're here! ;)

-Which model (year) MacBook Air?
-Which version of OS X -  > About This Mac?
-About how many photos are in the Photos application?
-Do you happen to have an external hard drive to make Time Machine backups that you know of?

I have heard of that issue before. Normally, it corrects itself if you simply let it complete, which could take several hours.

C

Reaction score
It is Mid 2013 MacBok Air. OSX Yosemite version 10.10.3. Memory 4GB. May be a few thousand photos.

I do not have an external hard drive. I know I should have.

How do I let it complete? I left the computer open last night with that "closing the library" on the screen. It was still there this morning and each time I try to open photos. Does that mean it is still doing whatever it's supposed to be doing? I cannot remove it anyway. Am I interfering with it by doing whatever I'm doing on the computer, like e-mail? Should I leave the computer on all night? Thank you so much for getting back to me. I appreciate your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

You could try restarting the Mac, opening Photos, and letting it sit overnight without any other applications running. You could do this just before bedtime and see if it finishes by morning.

C

Ask a Question