Partitioning problems

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to repartition my hard drive. Eventually, I want to have 3 partitions--one for OS X, one for Windows 8, and one for Ubuntu. But, I've run into problems after the very first partition.

Sequence of events:

1.Using Disk Utility, I tried to create a partition of Free Space, generating the log file shown (First picture, below.)

2. Despite the errors in the log file, the second partition appears as a grey box in Disc Utility. (second picture below). When highlighted, its format appears to be Free Space -- the desired format, despite the errors in the log file. So I'm thinking maybe all is well. I'll soon find out that's not the case.

3. I try to adjust the second partition to a different format. I select the MS-DOS format and click "Apply". Log file then shows:
2015-04-29 22:11:46 -0700: Preparing to partition disk: “APPLE SSD SM0256G Media”
But, the grey box has turned into a white box that says UNTITLED 2. I wait. (Minutes go by.) Nothing happens. I try to exit Disk Utility, it says changes have not been saved and asks me to confirm exit. I cancel the exit. To undo the (apparently failed) effort to reformat the blank space, I click revert. The partition turns back into a grey box. I can now successfully exit.

4. Out of curiosity, I click "verify" in the upper left. This brings up two dialog boxes, one of which is unresponsive, and I can no longer quit Disk Utility from the menu in the upper left (cmd+Q). (Third image, below.) At this point all I can do is force quit Disk Utility and start it again.

So hopefully, that gives enough symptoms to diagnose the problem. I'm pretty new to Mac and I've also never partitioned a hard drive before. Help!!

Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 10.23.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 10.14.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 10.18.34 PM.png

I then tried to undo said partition. Did not work.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
It appears you have 2 partitions but the larger one seems to be true free space as opposed to a partition you can work with, that sounds confusing I know!

I think we need to remove that partition & just start over …

What happens when you try selecting the Macintosh HD partition & resize that to fill the entire space?

Reaction score
Got it fixed. Split the base partition into 2 Mac partitions. Thus resulted in the second partition magically filling up the "empty" space. I then deleted this new large partition, resulting in my original large single partition drive.

Ask a Question