OS X10.5.8 Won't boot on G5 Dual 1.8, but will boot via Target disk mode on G4Dual 867 or 1.83 Intel

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new at this so please pardon my errors if any.

I have a G5 Dual 1.8 which has a partitioned HD. I have erased one partition and loaded 10.5.8 however it won't boot past the desktop pattern. I have been able to boot the system via target mode on other machines successfully. I have repaired permissions and reloaded the software twice. Another partition has 10.5.8 installed from the same disk and it boots fine. I also have another drive in the G5 that is doing the same thing. The OS on both were installed from a retail disk.

Any insight into this problem is appreciated, it's driving me nuts.

Steve

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
when you are booted into the working 10.5.8 partition & you open up System Prefs & look in Startup Disc, do you see the other partition there?

Reaction score
when you are booted into the working 10.5.8 partition & you open up System Prefs & look in Startup Disc, do you see the other partition there?
Yes I do. In fact I can select either one and reboot. However the process stops at the desktop screen right before it should load the dock. One other curious thing...it isn't frozen, I can still move the cursor but on the right side of the screen I can move it out of sight for about 4 inches to the right as if there is something over there. I've tried to click on anything over there (blind fishing) with no luck.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
think you need to boot from the disc & go into Disc Utility & use Verify Disc ….

Reaction score
Thanks, unfortunately that did not help much. Ive tried it before and sometimes you can boot it but it won't reboot in other words, it works once. But even this is not consistant.
BTW thanks for the replies

Steve

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
what does disc utility report upon completion of disc verification?

Do I have this right? You have a mac with 3 partitions & all are 10.5.8, installed from the same retail disc. 2 out of the 3 partitions function.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually it has two drives, one is partitioned into three.

One drive has 10.4 - Boots OK
10.5.8 Boots OK
10.5.8 Won't boot past desktop

Second Drive
Has 10.5.8 Won't boot past desktop

10.5 all from the same retail disk (10.5.8 update downloaded twice. I thought that might have something to do with it)
The message from disk utility is

"The volume appears to be OK"

Reaction score
Did you use Disk Utility while your G5 was in Target Disk Mode? That would be the best (and maybe only?) way to Verify and repair each of the Partitions on your G5. Also, did you verify and repair permissions on all your partitions (including the G4)?

And, when you updated to OS 10.5.8, did you apply the Combo Updater? Quite often, it is better to use a Combo Updater for any OS updates.

Finally, on your G4, do you have a more robust Disk Repair program like Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro? Either of those will do a better job than Disk Utility (when needed). Sorry I cannot speak too much about Disk Utility, as I use TechTool pro (and once in a while Disk Warrior) for my disk maintenance/repairs (also use Onyx for some maintenance and cleanup tasks).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you use Disk Utility while your G5 was in Target Disk Mode? That would be the best (and maybe only?) way to Verify and repair each of the Partitions on your G5. Also, did you verify and repair permissions on all your partitions (including the G4)?

And, when you updated to OS 10.5.8, did you apply the Combo Updater? Quite often, it is better to use a Combo Updater for any OS updates.

Finally, on your G4, do you have a more robust Disk Repair program like Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro? Either of those will do a better job than Disk Utility (when needed). Sorry I cannot speak too much about Disk Utility, as I use TechTool pro (and once in a while Disk Warrior) for my disk maintenance/repairs (also use Onyx for some maintenance and cleanup tasks).

Thanks for the input...

Yes, while I was booting from the problem partition on the G4 I also repaired the permissions.
Yes, I used the combo updater.
I just ran Disk Warrior,repaired permissions and rebuilt directory all w/o different results.

Sill boots only to the desktop picture.

Ask a Question