OS X El Capitan 10.1.4 About This Mac

Reaction score
Updated a i5 IMac 22.5" mid 2011 to El Capitan, now About This Max and System Profiler no longer open. The content on SP is still there, and accessible by back-dooring via a right click. I've looked around on the web and it seems common, but there doesn't seem to be a fix. Some claim those apps are no longer supported; what's right?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

-Is it now running 10.11.4?
-It may be a corrupted preference file. I will dig around for a solution.

C

Reaction score
Sorry, typo now fixed. Yes, 10.11.4. Bought it a month ago and it was working, after the upgrade it's not any more.

Reaction score
A couple of questions:

1. Are you making backups to an external device?

2. Have you performed any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

3. How much free space is left on your internal drive?

The "Apps" About This Mac and System Profiler work fine under OS 10.11.4.

One thing you could try is to download the excellent freeware program Onyx. You can get it from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Make sure to download Version 3.1.6. After you install and launch it, run its "Repair Permissions" feature, along with its other useful cleanup functions. Not sure if it will cure your issue, but it can't hurt.

Reaction score
Backup automatically through Time Machine to a 1TB external hard drive. there's over 400 gB free space on the Mac's internal hard drive, I've run Disk Utility first aid, no difference.

Reaction score
Backup automatically through Time Machine to a 1TB external hard drive. there's over 400 gB free space on the Mac's internal hard drive, I've run Disk Utility first aid, no difference.

Did you first boot your Mac to the (hidden) Recovery partition, so that you can run Disk Utility from there to do any actual repairs? In your case, that is the only way you can use Disk Utility for repairs. This link discusses the Recovery HD partition:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You could try deleting the following preference file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist

C

Ask a Question