Opening status bar stalls

Reaction score
Then then it starts over, then the whole screen turns dark and periodically blinks showing the stalled status bar. Forever. I have opened in safe mode, repaired both the backup (seagate) and main disks, restored from backup, and - same thing. El Capitan, latest version, updated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

-Which model Mac?
-It starts up normally in Safe mode?

C

Reaction score
Then then it starts over, then the whole screen turns dark and periodically blinks showing the stalled status bar. Forever. I have opened in safe mode, repaired both the backup (seagate) and main disks, restored from backup, and - same thing. El Capitan, latest version, updated.
Hello and welcome,

-Which model Mac?
-It starts up normally in Safe mode?

C
Hi - thank you. It is a 21" IMAC bought June 2 2012. It does open in safe mode. I have since reinstalled OSX, same result. Again rebuilt from the external drive, no help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks. It is probably an iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2011) model then.

-Did you add any third-party RAM, or is it what Apple shipped with it?
-Since it starts up in Safe Mode, then it is more likely a software issue. It could also be a hardware issue, which would be best identified by An Apple Store running full hardware diagnostics.
-Did it startup normally after a clean install of OS X, before you restored your files from the external?
-How did you repair the hard drives - with Disk Utility, or a third-party app like Drive Genius/DiskWarrior/TechTool Pro?

C

Reaction score
Hello and thank you again. I did add RAM soon after purchase but do not recall brand. It did not start up normally after clean install of OSX - same story, goes normally to apple-and-bar, stalls, than gets to the blinking mode. Since all I can do is open in safe mode, I used Disk Utility to repair. It may be of interest that a few weeks ago Bit Defender was installed - remotely as I could not achieve that myself. Since that time the Samsung backup usually fails - but seems to successfully back up once a day.

Reaction score
Hello and thank you again. I did add RAM soon after purchase but do not recall brand. It did not start up normally after clean install of OSX - same story, goes normally to apple-and-bar, stalls, than gets to the blinking mode. Since all I can do is open in safe mode, I used Disk Utility to repair. It may be of interest that a few weeks ago Bit Defender was installed - remotely as I could not achieve that myself. Since that time the Samsung backup usually fails - but seems to successfully back up once a day.
Also - I finally deleted the remote control program - just the day before this horror story began. Hmmmm

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Since you have third-party RAM installed, you could try removing it and only keeping the original Apple RAM installed. Sometimes that can cause an issue like this.

Once the issue is resolved, I would suggest uninstalling BitDefender, as it is not needed, and can cause other types of issues including slowness.

Which remote control program did you uninstall?

C

Reaction score
Would that ram have gone bad after so many years? I uninstalled the remote control program installed for BitDefender. I do not recall the name and did not write it down. Why isn't a security program needed?

Reaction score
Would that ram have gone bad after so many years? I uninstalled the remote control program installed for BitDefender. I do not recall the name and did not write it down. Why isn't a security program needed?
Do I just open up the compartment and pull the Ram out?

Reaction score
Well Mr C, it wasn't the Ramjet memory. I reinstalled OSX again - hope springs and all that. Then I pulled the plug and went to sulk in a corner. Thank you for all you help, though.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am confused on whether you were successful in getting OS X installed - it was the third-party RAM? If not, did you try removing the Apple RAM?

C

Reaction score
OSx said that it installed successfully. I have not removed the original ram (not labeled "apple") - except to find the 3rd party (ramjet). I mistakenly put them back in the top slots first and got a frightening hooting! I assume there has to be some RAM in there so should try removing the originals and inserting the 3rd pty RAMJETs? Thank you - Christina

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Good that it installed properly. When the iMac is lying face down on the display, you should install RAM in the top two slots first (the default factory slots), then the bottom two. Each pair should match:

Back of iMac
2 GB --- 2 GB
4 GB --- 4 GB
Display glass of iMac

If you heard a series of three beeps with a five second pause, that signals a RAM issue, usually failed RAM. If you hear one beep repeating every five secs, then it doesn't recognize any RAM.

You can install all of the RAM since OS X is successfully installed. Leave the two Apple sticks in the top two slots, and instal the Ramjet in the bottom two. Startup the iMac, and if things are normal, you are all set. If you hear any tones, or if it doesn't startup normally, then there is probably a bad stick or two. You can check in  > About This Mac > Memory to see if all the RAM is recognized, and verify the two sets are the same sizes.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question