Opened a HFS+ drive in Win7 with Paragon HFS+ and now it won't boot.

Reaction score
In essence, I needed to move about 400GB of data from my OSX drive to my new Win7 PC, and I used Paragon HFS+ to do so. After plugging in the OSX drive to my PC it won't boot in my Mac anymore.
Things to note:

1. I did not write anything to the drive.
  2. After plugging in the drive to my Mac, I get a "?" on a folder on the gray start up screen. (OSX files can't be found, I believe.)
  3. I attempted to use the OSX disk to Verify and Repair the desk, which did not work. Got "Invalid record count" and then it said it couldn't be repaired.
  4. I attempted fsck_hfs with all types of modifiers, d/y/f, etc. Got errors like volume check failed with error 7, blah blah.
I believe what happened is that after bringing the disk into Win7, it wrote data to the GUID table or whatnot and is now confusing the Mac.
Is there a fix for this without having to reformat?

Reaction score
I'd get the stuff off that drive ASAP, I hope the rest of the files are ok. When it comes to file system corruption there is no easy fix.

Ask a Question