OK to Delete Everything Associated with Office 2011?

Reaction score
I recently installed Office 2016, and everything seems to be working fine. I was not concerned with Word and Excel, but I needed to insure that Outlook 2016 would function just like Outlook 2011. When I first booted up Outlook 2016, it offered to "import" all the Outlook 2011 stuff. I of course selected Yes, the import went without a hitch, and Outlook 2016 is working solidly. All of this is true for both of my machines. I am, though, still using the latest version of El Capitan, OS 10.11.6, waiting for the upgrade to TechTool Pro for Sierra compatibility before I "move" to OS 10.12.1. I am not anticipating any issues with Office 2016 and OS 10.12.1 (at least from what I have read).

I have a handy little application called "AppCleaner" that lets one "drop" an application icon onto AppCleaner's spot (after launching it), and AppCleaner finds just about all the files associated with the application. I am just about ready to do this with Office 2011, but I need to insure that Office 2016 does not need any files associated with Office 2011.

When 1Password was upgraded to V6.0, I tried to do that with prior versions of 1Password "stuff", but I had issues doing that. So, I am of course a little reluctant to do the same with Office 2011.

Hence, I am wondering if anyone here "upgraded" from Office 2011 to Office 2016 like I did (ie, installing Office 2016, and especially the part involving Outlook 2016), and then safely removed all "stuff" associated with Office 2011. Disk space is not the issue, as I have enough, but I hate to have any unneeded stuff around.

I would appreciate any advice/information/suggestions, etc. I of course still have a backup containing everything now, and in fact I will run through my disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, and backups, tomorrow for both of my Macs. But, if I can remove Office 2011 after doing those tasks, that would be good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry honestone but I never go near MS products.

But nice to see you use AppCleaner I have used this little utility for many years:)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, you should be able to simply drag the Microsoft Office 2011 from the Applications folder to the Trash. It can be a bit more work to find the rest of the files/folders that it installed at first-run, but they are very small and won't affect anything, as they require the Office apps to load/run.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory. I actually got some "information" about completely removing Office 2011 from my Mac:

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...eea-b60b-7719c2cedd17?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

When I first "dropped the Office 2011 folder onto the AppCleaner's icon, it did delete a fair amount of files associated with Office 2011. But, following that MIcrosoft "advice" above, a number of files were left. Well, I got about 2/3rd of the way through that, but when I started Outlook 2016, it said it was Off Line, and trying to get it back on line requires an Office 365 subscription, which I do not have.

So, I just restarted my Mac from the SuperDuper! backup I had done about an hour earlier (booted from the new Samsung Pro 850 512 gig SSD inside an Orico External case, and it went quick!), launched SuperDuper! from there, and selected "Restore All Files". It then Erased the internal drive on my Mac (the Mac MIni, in this case), and the restore went fast (again, SSDs are great!)!. Re-started my Mac MIni, and everything was/is good.

I thus took your advice and dragged the Office 2011 folder to the trash, and it is gone. Also did that for my MacBook Air.

It definitely seems to be the case that Outlook 2016 needed some Outlook 2011 files and/or some Microsoft ones installed by Office 2011. As I mentioned above, I ran into a similar issue a while back when I tried to remove 1Password V4.x and 1Password V5.x stuff when 1Password 6.0 came out.

Last edited:

Ask a Question