No sound from iTunes

Reaction score
After upgrading iTunes and El Ca[pitan all my songs are greyed out. They play when double clicked, but no sound comes out. Other apps play sound with no problem and I had to download Wondershare to play my music.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try this but I'm not sure if it's the right fix for your issue, first view by songs in iTunes (menu in upper far right), next have a look to see whether the ones that are greyed out have a tick in the little box. If not, select all, Ctrl click, and select "check selection".

Another option would be to add your songs back into iTunes again after first deleting them only from your Library & keeping the actual files. But if you have a ginormous library like me this would be a real headache.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions, but something must be seriously wrong. I checked all the songs and for a few moments the song names were black, but when I tried to play one they all went grey again even though checked and no sound when played. Then I removed one album from the Library and double-clicked one song to put it back into iTunes. It showed it was playing, but there was no sound and the song was not added to the visible list, although it was in the Library. The only thing I can think of is to remove all my albums, delete iTunes, reinstall a new copy and reload my many albums. Or, just keep using iTunesGo.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Do you have AirPlay enabled by chance? That would allow them to play, but the audio would be routed to an AirPlay device and no sound would be heard from the computer unless it was selected as well.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Do you have AirPlay enabled by chance? That would allow them to play, but the audio would be routed to an AirPlay device and no sound would be heard from the computer unless it was selected as well.

C
Thanks for the idea, but AirPlay is off.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Did the recent OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 or iTunes 12.4 updates fix this issue for you?

C

Reaction score
Did the recent OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 or iTunes 12.4 updates fix this issue for you?

C
no it did not. I have the same software updates installed on an older computer and iTunes works fine there. I'm wondering whether another piece of software is interfering or iCloud is involved somehow. I'm at a loss.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...let's gather some additional information:

-Which model Mac?
-Do you have any third-party utilities such as MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed?
-Any network-related apps like LittleSnitch installed?
-Do you have the firewall enabled?
-Were you using iTunes Match?
-Do the grayed out songs have any other icons next to them?
-If you add a new song, does it show and play normally?
-iTunes > View > Show iCloud Music Purchases - is that enabled?

C

Reaction score
OK...let's gather some additional information:

-Which model Mac?
-Do you have any third-party utilities such as MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed?
-Any network-related apps like LittleSnitch installed?
-Do you have the firewall enabled?
-Were you using iTunes Match?
-Do the grayed out songs have any other icons next to them?
-If you add a new song, does it show and play normally?
-iTunes > View > Show iCloud Music Purchases - is that enabled?

C
1. iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
2. No.
3. No.
4. No
5. No.
6. No. Now only the songs listed in Album view are greyed out, but still no sound from any.
7. It shows, but plays with no sound like all the others.
8. No, that was not enabled.

Reaction score
I checked all the songs and they are not grey in the song list. When I control click on the song the menu already says "Uncheck Selection" indicating that "Check Selection" is enabled. However, the songs still do not play with sound.

Reaction score
I ran Clean My Mac 3 hoping it would fix something, but it didn't. Then I tried NPR radio and got no sound from that, either. So the problem is not just with the music files.

Reaction score
Hooray! I used the Clean My Mac 3 Uninstaller app to reset iTunes and now I have my sound back!!!

Thank you all for your help, and maybe this will help someone else.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Wow...glad you got it sorted out. I am normally leery of apps like CleanMyMac, as they normally do more harm than good. But, it sounds like iTunes was corrupted somehow and the reinstall corrected the issue.

Thanks for letting us know and enjoy your tunes!

C

Ask a Question