Newly opened files auto-resize

Reaction score
When I open a second pdf, word doc, or ppt doc for some reason it always shrinks the window of second and moves it to the right and down from the typical spot it would be opened. It's a nuisance to have to resize my documents every time I open more than one of a certain type, and they get really small if I open 5 or 6 of them.

I don't recall this happening before, does anyone know why it does? More importantly, can I change some settings so this doesn't happen?

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What version of Mac OS X?
-So it does it with all apps - Preview and the Office suite?
-Have you tried resizing one of the windows, saving the document, then reopening?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What version of Mac OS X?
-So it does it with all apps - Preview and the Office suite?
-Have you tried resizing one of the windows, saving the document, then reopening?

C

-Version 10.9.5
-I have noticed it with Preview, Google Chrome, PowerPoint, Word, Excel. Currently it isn't happening with Chrome or Preview, but still with PowerPoint.
-I just tried opening, resizing, saving, closing, then reopening a PowerPoint presentation, but when I opened the one I had just saved and closed, it still shrunk to a smaller size. No luck using that method unfortunately.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...this really has me baffled. I have never heard of or seen this issue before.

-Which version of Microsoft Office - 2008, 2011?
-Do you use Entourage/Outlook for email?
-Do you have any custom templates or other Office customizations?

If you don't have any specific customizations or use the Office email apps, we can try resetting the Office suite to the defaults by deleting/moving the Microsoft User Data folder from your Documents folder to the Desktop. Make sure you have quit all the Office apps, move that folder to the Desktop, then launch one of them to see if the issue persists. If not, you can move it to the Trash. If it is still present, we can move that folder back and try something else. But, if you use Entourage/Outlook, that is where it stores your emails/contacts/etc., so beware.

C

Reaction score
Hmmm...this really has me baffled. I have never heard of or seen this issue before.

-Which version of Microsoft Office - 2008, 2011?
-Do you use Entourage/Outlook for email?
-Do you have any custom templates or other Office customizations?

If you don't have any specific customizations or use the Office email apps, we can try resetting the Office suite to the defaults by deleting/moving the Microsoft User Data folder from your Documents folder to the Desktop. Make sure you have quit all the Office apps, move that folder to the Desktop, then launch one of them to see if the issue persists. If not, you can move it to the Trash. If it is still present, we can move that folder back and try something else. But, if you use Entourage/Outlook, that is where it stores your emails/contacts/etc., so beware.

C
-Microsoft Office 2011 - Version 14.5.2
-I do not use Entourage/Outlook for my email
-I don't recall any custom templates or other Office customizations, unless editing the ribbon counts as a customization

Can I not upload MP4s here? Maybe a video of the problem would help explain my issue.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...thanks. I would try my suggestion about the Microsoft User Data folder.

You can link video files from YouTube, Vimeo, etc. but you can't upload them directly.

C

Reaction score

C

It worked, thanks Cory!

Reaction score
Glad I read this thread, as I was not aware that Microsoft recently released a 14.5.2 Update to Office 2011!

Ask a Question