newbie mac user software help

Reaction score
hi all iam a virgin to mac ive just been given a old imac desktop (2006) and i want tp run photoshop and adobe aftereffects on it but the software i have been given is askin for os x 10-9-2 mine has got 10-6-8 and was told i cant go any higher beacuse of how old this system is so basically iam askin is there any software out there that will run on this system running os x 10-6-8 any help advice would be greatly appriciated

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, the newest and most recent versions of Photoshop will not work with your Mac. Depending on the exact model of your 2006 iMac (probably an Early or Mid 2006, as they max out at 10.6.8), I would say the most recent version that will run is either Photoshop CS5 or CS6. It may be very hard to find a legal copy of those now.

You could always try an alternative application like GraphicConverter, but you would need an older version of it as well. It will be tough to find something comparable to Photoshop and After Effects at this point for the older hardware/OS X version.

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
click on the  in the upper left of the desktop & choose About This Mac or something similar … then let us know what information it provides there about your Mac.

Reaction score
hi all iam a virgin to mac ive just been given a old imac desktop (2006) and i want tp run photoshop and adobe aftereffects on it but the software i have been given is askin for os x 10-9-2 mine has got 10-6-8 and was told i cant go any higher beacuse of how old this system is so basically iam askin is there any software out there that will run on this system running os x 10-6-8 any help advice would be greatly appriciated
click on the  in the upper left of the desktop & choose About This Mac or something similar … then let us know what information it provides there about your Mac.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac5,2

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Ask a Question