New email notification sounds - Sierra

Reaction score
I have just updated to Sierra resulting in a small problem. I am hard of hearing so have a custom piece of music to notify me of new mail.
Since updating the sound has gone and so has the option to 'add/remove' in the dropdown list of sounds. A brief blip etc is of no use to me when not at my desk.
Any advice?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
can you recreate that custom sound? I am using 10.7.5 so don't know if this has changed in Sierra but the sounds used by Mail are found in MacintoshHD ~> System ~> Library ~> Sounds. I often add my own sounds which have to be in the aiff format. You just drag & drop them into the folder & enter your Admin credentials when prompted.

Reaction score
Thank you. I have converted file to .aiff, no larger than in built files, will only allow me to place it at the root top not within sounds.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Exactly where? what happens when you drag the file onto MacintoshHD ~> System ~> Library ~> Sounds? Is there a pop-up alert?

Reaction score
Yes but when I enter password the file 'leaps' to top of the tree, above applications. I have copared 'info' with that of built in sounds, identical format.
Perhaps as 'add/remove' no longer is an option it will not allow drag and drop?? Last time I update, always something!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Yes but when I enter password the file 'leaps' to top of the tree, above applications. I have copared 'info' with that of built in sounds, identical format.
Perhaps as 'add/remove' no longer is an option it will not allow drag and drop?? Last time I update, always something!

Hmmm, possibly Sierra has a whole new security feature that is stopping you ... unfortunately I'm unable to advise further due to running Mac OS Lion which is eons from Sierra.

Reaction score
Hi,

Please do not shoot me as I might be wrong but there used to be an option of add custom sounds to Apple mail alerts. For example,a custom .wav file is played when an email is received. But that option is gone in Sierra. :( Might be a update thing.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi,

Please do not shoot me as I might be wrong but there used to be an option of add custom sounds to Apple mail alerts. For example,a custom .wav file is played when an email is received. But that option is gone in Sierra. :( Might be a update thing.

Yes, I can't verify this but I think Sierra has a security feature if you want to call it that, that makes it harder for the MacintoshHD Directory to be modified.

For instance if you have Dropbox desktop app, it automatically places its folder at the top of the Finder Sidebar.

I think this sort of free modification has ended which is possibly why the OP has the issue with access to MacintoshHD ~> System ~> Library ~> Sounds.

I am eons away from Sierra so at this stage it's just a hunch.

Reaction score
Hi,

That is how simple it used to be and what I have always done. .wav files no longer are useable. As stated earlier Sierra has removed the drag and drop option. I hope it's an oversight that Apple may correct.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
To be honest, I didn't even realise there was an option in the drop-down menu to add/remove! I always did it manually but that's me, always doing stuff the hard way!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
That is how simple it used to be and what I have always done. .wav files no longer are useable. As stated earlier Sierra has removed the drag and drop option. I hope it's an oversight that Apple may correct.

Try this Philip, try adding it to ~/Library/Sounds instead of /System/Library/Sounds.

Make sure the file type is .aiff

Reaction score
Hi Spawn Dooley,

Yes I am but at work now would you like me to give it a try later when home.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Would appreciate that oldscribe, ta ;) it'd be good to know whether the file shows up in the mail notification pull-down menu.

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes this worked and don't worry if the sound folder looks empty as you know it is not.:)

Will show how it is done via screen shots hope this helps and just to add I used an AIFF sound format converted in iTunes for this test, and all personal sound files show up in mail presences beneath the built in sound files. Once I created the sound file and converted it saved to desktop then just dragged it into sound folder.;):cool:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 1.png
    Screen Shot 1.png
    178.1 KB · Views: 257
  • Screen Shot 2.png
    Screen Shot 2.png
    348.3 KB · Views: 278
  • Screen Shot 3.png
    Screen Shot 3.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 279
  • Screen Shot 4.png
    Screen Shot 4.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 321
  • Screen Shot 5.png
    Screen Shot 5.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 266

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi oldscribe, this is brilliant news! So it is still possible to customise the mail alert sound ... ahhhh well done for being able to verify this ... thanks a lot it's good to know all is well after all! I'm forever adding new sounds for incoming mail ... driving my partner mad in the process hahaha.

Reaction score
Hi Spawn Dooley,

No problem just hope it helps philip.

I
'm forever adding new sounds for incoming mail ... driving my partner mad in the process hahaha.

Lots of festive singles coming up i see.:D

Ask a Question