Needs a password

Reaction score
I am trying to install some printer drivers and keep getting a message that I should type in a password. What password does it want? I have tried my Apple password to no avail. Apple seems so password crazy (and I can understand why) but I have no clue which password to type. Any help would be appreciated.

To be even more precise,this is the message I get: "Installer is trying to install new software. Type your password to allow this."

I am frustrated!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The password it is asking for is your computer user password...the same you would use when logging into your account on the Mac. When you initially setup your account on the Mac, you chose a user name and password. It is that password that you need.

If you have forgotten it, let us know.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory!

Thanks for the reply. I do know the password, but file that was sent to me by Brother will not accept it. I had contacted Brother and they told me I should ask Apple. Now I am going back to them and suggest that the file is somehow corrupted or something like that and hopefully they will fix it.

JS

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...thanks.

-What version of Mac OS X?
-What model Brother printer?

OS X should have the correct drives built-in, unless it is an older and possibly unsupported printer.

If you are trying to open an archive that Brother sent you, it may be password protected by them and they should have supplied a password to decompress the archive.

C

Ask a Question