My macbook pro shuts down after typing in my password

Reaction score
This has started to happen since I uploaded the latest update on my macbook pro but I don't know if that's the cause of the problem. When I power on my computer everything goes normally but when I try to log in and type my password my mac completely shuts down. (I can access the guest user though) I've tried to access the safe mode but even though I'm pressing the swift key my macbook won't recognize it. Unfortunately I'm very bad with technical stuff but I'm really depressed, please help! My macbook pro is approx. 4-5 years old but I don't remember the exact model. Please if you do help try to make it as simple as possible.

Reaction score
Hi Jemina,

when I try to log in and type my password my mac completely shuts down. (I can access the guest user though

Possibly a failed firmware update, or corrupted OS X boot and the at boot fsck drive repair can't fix it.

Try the following
  1. Reboot your Mac and hold Command-R at the boot chimes to load Recovery Mode.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the main window.
  3. Select your boot volume in the device list.
  4. If the drive is grayed out, choose Unlock from the File menu (it will require an unlock password).
  5. Click the First Aid button to repair your drive.

Reaction score
What exact Mac OS are you running? If it is El Capitan, is the update you are referring to the latest OS version, OS 10.11.5, that came out last week?

Reaction score
Hi Jemina,

Possibly a failed firmware update, or corrupted OS X boot and the at boot fsck drive repair can't fix it.

Try the following
  1. Reboot your Mac and hold Command-R at the boot chimes to load Recovery Mode.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the main window.
  3. Select your boot volume in the device list.
  4. If the drive is grayed out, choose Unlock from the File menu (it will require an unlock password).
  5. Click the First Aid button to repair your drive.

I did just that but when I tried to run the first aid it couldn't do it. It just keeps saying "First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume."

honestone: Yes, I'm referring to that update

Reaction score
Hi,

Have you got an Apple store near you? if so I would book a genius bar appointment ASAP.

Ask a Question