My mac 10.6.8 Snow leopard has suddenly slowed down and I can no longer access the desktop icons.

Reaction score
My Mac 10.6.8 is very slow. The internet speed is OK.
I cannot access any desktop icons with the mouse.
I cannot get the Mac HD icon to open.
Spotlight will allow me to access disk utility directly, but it has not helped.
Updates say I am all updated. Mouse responds to open dock, but not ANY desktop icons.

Reaction score
What exact Mac model are you using? If it is somewhat "old", and nothing has been replaced, your hard drive could be going bad. Hopefully, you have a backup of your system. Also, you might need a more robust Disk Repair program like Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro to analyze the internal hard drive.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I tried my wired mouse in my other computer and it worked OK.
I exchanged my wireless mouse from the other computer to the one I had issues with and it now functions OK as well. I must have done something to eliminate the desktop features from the mouse, but don't know what.
Under preferences I have checked all aspects of the mouse and could not find any difference.
Recently I enlarged the curser arrow size, and perhaps changed something else, but I cannot find the spot where I can change the curser size now. It is not under mouse on the preferences.

Reaction score
If you have a third party mouse, you need to insure that you have the latest drivers for that mouse.

Also, do you have a backup of your system, and hopefully one that was made prior to you making the changes?

Still need to know what specific Mac model you are using.

Ask a Question