Mv4 problem

Reaction score
I am unable to play mv4 files on my mac [quad Xeon] I get format not recognized. I was going to purchase QT pro to see if that helped but I don't want to pay for pro when I might be upgrading soon. I don't know if there would be an update for yosemite or not.

I have QT10.2, it have installed an update but it did no good with the mv4 file. Got same error. I saw some codec download but it needed QT Pro. I downloaded QT 7 as the afore mentioned update. Didn't help. I don't know why QT7 was an option when I have 10.2 but I'm not really a computer wiz so I figured there's be a msg if QT7 was an older version. There was not. Anyone know of a fix. I was on an apple page that said QT plays Mv4 files. Not my QT. I can't up load the msg screen it is an anchient file format TIFF. I am so sick of the money game the computer biddniss is playing.

Ron

Reaction score
I am unable to play mv4 files on my mac [quad Xeon] I get format not recognized. I was going to purchase QT pro to see if that helped but I don't want to pay for pro when I might be upgrading soon. I don't know if there would be an update for yosemite or not.

I have QT10.2, it have installed an update but it did no good with the mv4 file. Got same error. I saw some codec download but it needed QT Pro. I downloaded QT 7 as the afore mentioned update. Didn't help. I don't know why QT7 was an option when I have 10.2 but I'm not really a computer wiz so I figured there's be a msg if QT7 was an older version. There was not. Anyone know of a fix. I was on an apple page that said QT plays Mv4 files. Not my QT. I can't up load the msg screen it is an anchient file format TIFF. I am so sick of the money game the computer biddniss is playing.

I forgot one thing. If this post isn't wierd enough already one of the msgs I get is that the mv4 flie was created on a newer version of itunes. What does itunes have to do with anything concerining a vid I download from a website? I never like that app from day one. It has gotten much worse over the years. If apple can't make money selling phones and computers and iCrap they should give someone else a chance.

Ron

Reaction score
Hey Spawn_Dooley thanks. I haven't tried VLC, this is the first I've heard of it. I don't get out much. The trouble began with msgs. saying the files came from an itunes version newer than mine. Said the same thing after I upgraded itunes. I can find out tomorrow but I'm pretty sure the file didn't come from itunes. The guy who does the classes uses pc based stuff. I know they have itunes they are welcome to it, but I doubt he'd use that when he has so many other choices. I do not have itunes enabled to play vids since I started trying to play that class file.

Ron

Reaction score
I have VLC installed. I wanted to make it the default mv4 player via comand I. There is a button in this section that says change all. All what please? It could result in all mv4 files being opened by the app. I just don't know for sure... thought I check here first.

Thanks for your time.....

Ron

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Yes it will become the parent app for all mv4 files if you tick the "Change All" box.

Reaction score
Thanks mucho, I could have just tried it but didn't want to take a chance on a week end. I'll let you know if the file opens...... ok I'm loosing it...
chose the icon from applications and did com. I and there was no button to push. I don't know what I did that's different.

Where is says Name and Extension VLC app is in the box but no button. It say app that the top it's not a short cut icon...... I know I'm forgetting something... what please? I just tried to send a grab image file and the forums software doesn't recognize it.

Ron

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just wanted to close the thread w/the news that I got a new version of Flip for Mac and it's very robust. Someone put some thought in to how this app might be used and made if better than QT or anything else I have seen. This is the free version I'm talking about.

Chances are it's old news to most of you. I switched to macs in 95 because I didn't want to become a computer tech to record the music I write. But it's always a learning experience every time something comes up that I can't fix.

Thanks to you all for the great help. It is very good to know you folks are here.

Ron

Ask a Question