Multiple IP addresses on 1 machine

Reaction score
Hi,

I've set up an FTP server using OS/X Panther and would like to open 2 inbound channels to it, ftp and ftp2.foo.com which are on different services for redundancy.

How can I set up multiple IP addresses on the same machine?

I've looked into ifconfig but was if there's an easier way, by app or utility I'd really like to know.

Thanks a bunch!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Can I check what Mac you are doing this on ?

Have you got two ethernet ports ?

Are you using OS X Panther Client or Server ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
This is not meant as a suggestion, but rather as an additional question. What about setting up a machine with multiple users? Does that affect the IP addresses at all? I currently have 4 users on our home G3 iBook, and even while a second user is active, email continues to arrive in real-time for the other users, so long as that user is logged in.

CAS

Ric

Reaction score
casdvm said:
This is not meant as a suggestion, but rather as an additional question. What about setting up a machine with multiple users? Does that affect the IP addresses at all? I currently have 4 users on our home G3 iBook, and even while a second user is active, email continues to arrive in real-time for the other users, so long as that user is logged in.

CAS

Hi CAS,

it's a bit of a different thing really.

What 'imtaller' is trying to do, (this is what I think, anyway !) is set up a "FTP Server" but would like to do it in a way that if one bit breaks, the traffic would go on to the next bit...

...the best way I can explain is,imagine this website !

If the server (computer) this website is running on gets turned off, or crashes then when typing into your browser you would not be able to see our pages.

Larger websites are 'mirrored', the same 'site' is running on more than one computer, normally in different physical locations. Therefore, is 'server one' crashes, then 'server two' would automatically handle the requests.

This would be the same for a FTP Server, I think, with what imtaller has told us so far, that he would need another computer, to do what he wants ?

I may however be completely wrong in what they want to do ! ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric,

That's pretty much why I'm setting up the virtual IP's, so if either of my company DSL or T1 pipes go down, I'll still have FTP service available.
I had an incident when a car hit a pole down the street and knocked out DSL, and another where my T1 provider went belly-up.

Both times I was saved by having service through two seperate media and providers.

Only one bad thing though, it means 2 separate routable IP addresses for internal services such as FTP.

By the way, thanks for the link and I'm checking it out now. It appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Cheers,

Brian

Ric

Reaction score
No problem Brian,

let us know how you get on, or if you need any further help.

Regards

Ric

Ask a Question