moving folders from one desktop to another

Reaction score
Hello
This is probably so elementary..

My question is: my desktop is really cluttered with lots of folders..many of which I use on a regular basis.

I want to create 4 desktops to use for 4 types of work which I am engaged in.

I have created 4 new desktops and I want to transfer some of the files from desktop #1 to desktop #2 or #3, how do I do this?

thank you

neo

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Look in your Dock for an icon called Mission Control. Click it. This is how Mac OS X does multiple desktops.

Any files that are on your Desktop will appear on your Desktop in whichever Desktop you have active at any given time.

In System Preferences you'll find a Mission Control section where you can set various personal preferences for the app.

When Mission Control is activated you see all available Desktops & if you hover your mouse cursor over the upper right of your screen you'll see the option to add another Desktop.

If you Ctrl-click any icon in your Dock, look under 'Options' to set any app to 'lock' to one or more Desktops.

To move a window or file between Desktops just click, hold & drag it to the right or left of screen, depending if you are in Desktop 1 or 2 etc, until the next Desktop slides into view.

Elementary can sometimes be confusing so feel free to ask away if you need more help.

Reaction score
thanks Spawn.. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.. Yes, I went to mission control and created four new desktops, but when I click on any of them, I find that all my folders are on each desktop..

What my question was: I wanted to have a new desktop, a clean new desktop, ( call it desktop number 2) where I could import the folders and files i am presently working on, leaving the first desktop ( call it number one) full of the REST of my folders.

But I could not figure out how to export files and folders from desktop #1 to desktop #2.. and only see the imported folders on desktop #2.

I think what I am trying to do is impossible.

I did try clicking and dragging the files i wanted to the next desktop, but was unable to do so.
Besides, all the desktops I created seem to have all the same files on them.. There is no such thing as a clean desktop.

thank you for encouraging me to ask questions..
neo

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
To move windows files between Desktops follow my advice above & you really need to almost will the file or window to make the next desktop appear … keep trying to drag the folder or window hard against the right or left hand side of your screen …

What you want isn't impossible, there might be a 3rd party app out there but I can't recommend one as Mission Control does what I need it to do.

As for the files appearing in every Desktop that's just how it works & I can't think how to do it otherwise.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It is my understanding of Mission Control/Spaces that this isn't possible. The Spaces functionality is only to assign apps and their corresponding windows to different virtual desktops. The files/folders on the desktop are all stored in ~/Desktop. Since there is only one folder for this per user, there isn't a way to have multiples, or assign files/folders to different Spaces.

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
neophyte, to do what you are looking for would likely need multiple monitors connected to your Mac … each monitor would possible have a fresh clean Finder … I have no way of testing this unfortunately & also you would need the space for them too!

Reaction score
Spawn.. I am just a little person with a laptop and lots of documents to produce for my work..I do not have multiple monitors, etc.. Just muddling along..average type simple person..

I guess there is nothing complex about having multiple monitors, but it is certainly not in my particular radar view.

THANKS AGAIN.
neo

Ask a Question