Microsoft be gone

Reaction score
I used to use Microsoft Outlook and have switched completely to mail. Several Microsoft items continue to run in the background in Activity Monitor... specifically SyncServicesAgent and Microsoft Database Daemon and I dont know what else. I don't think these are needed since I'm not using Outlook and I feel like my Mac is now slow so anything I can stop in the background would probably help.

Office Reminders also continue to pop up and I realize I can turn them Off but they remind me (no pun) that I want Microsoft to stop running in the background.

I would like to keep Microsoft Outlook on the Mac for the rare cases I receive an email with an attachment that must be open in it.

I still use Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint for Mac. I'm running OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 on an early 2011 MacBook Pro.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
I continue to use Outlook 2011 on my Macs, along with Word and Excel. Even though you no longer use Outlook, it is still "there". Also, what you are seeing in the Activity Monitor is, most likely, Office-related processes for the entire Office 2011 "package". Not sure which ones are specific to Outlook, though. Of course, if you get rid of them, but some time later want to use Outlook, you could have problems.

Ask a Question