Make Automator "Import" file rather than "Open" file

Reaction score
im trying to get automater to "import" a file with certain program rather than "open" the file as it typically would with the action "Open Finder Item".

Is there a similar action or some workaround that i could use to do this?

Reaction score
The Open Finder Items workflow, has a popup menu from which you can select an App.

Reaction score
The application is open at this point using the "Launch Application" action.

Now i want that application to "Import" a file, rather than use "Open" from the File menu.

i have even created a keyboard shortcut in the system preferences for the exact menu item that i want to launch. but i cant seem to get the "Run Apple Script" action to work properly.

is there a better way to do this?

Reaction score
Are you using AppleScript or Automator?

Normally if you tell an App to Open a document which isn't its normal document type it will use Import, but thats up to the App maker.

Reaction score
it is an accepted file type for this application, however in this instance i need to use import rather than open.

Reaction score
Try out 'watch me do'. I'm not so familiar with it, but it seems like the way to get automator to perform specific tasks in other applications.

Ask a Question