MacBook Pro won't boot

Reaction score
It goes to white screen with a flashing file with a ? on it. Tried to get to recovery partition and use disk utility, turning on with option pushed or command and R pushed, but that does not work. I suspected a problem and backed up to Carbonite yesterday. Now I am stuck.

Bob in DC

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Did something cause this issue - power outage, force power off, etc.?

C

Reaction score
The flashing file with a question mark means your hard drive is dead.

If you backed up yesterday, great! That means your files are still safe and do not need to worry about them.

Does your Mac have a replaceable hard drive?

- Update -
It can also mean that your Mac's System Folder is missing or damaged--BUT you said that you can't go to recovery, so you're hard drive is more than likely gone.

Reaction score
Thank you. The site and you two are a godsend.

If you both agree the hard drive is broken, what is my next step? Nor sure if it is replaceable, or do I just get a new computer? What about the data associated with particular apps., like Moneydance? I just backed up my personal data and pics. Where is the data associated with apps like Moneydance?

For the record, I have a MacBook Pro purchased in 2009, running OS X 10.8.2. Before not booting, it was making a lounder noise than normal running, and it was hotter than normal. I had trouble getting the computer to pick up my wireless signal, even though it was strong and coming in well on other devices. The very last thing I did on the computer was backup to Carbonite, or more precisely, add to the first backup. Carbonite shut down unexpectedly. I think I turned off the computer for the evening. Luckily, Carbonite backed up all I requested.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The hard drive is replaceable. If it failed however, you probably won't be able to recover any data from it.

MBPs from that era also experience hard drive cable failure, so maybe it is only that. If it is only the cable, you would experience your issue and the data on it would be safe.

Do you have any Apple Stores near you that you can take it to for diagnosis?

C

Reaction score
Yes. I will do so. I cannot believe you and your colleagues provide this service. Than you very much!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You are most welcome. We're here because we love to help folks out.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

C

Reaction score
Regarding the hard drive cable which Cory mentioned, note the location of the connector in the photo with Step 7 in that link above. Maybe you could "trace" that to its source, and try and replace it. Not sure how difficult it is, but I remember that for my Mac Mini, I was having a problem with one of the connectors, and the end that attached to the motherboard was an issue. Replaced it (easy job, and the cable was inexpensive), and I was back in business.

Also, you should follow that guide to remove the drive, place it inside an external case (those are not expensive), connect it to another Mac, and see if it shows up. You could then try and use Disk Utility to repair the drive (from a software perspective). If successful, you could even recover data from it. And, if desired, use that drive (as long as it is "healthy") for back ups, storing stuff, etc.

Ask a Question