MacBook Pro ROM Memory (?) problem

Reaction score
Hey guys, good afternoon.

I'm having some problems with my Macbook Pro and would like to understand them a little more and what it is to try to find a viable solution, since the switch to another macbook is out of hand at the time.

The battery of my macbook does not work anymore. I had some problems with ants and believe that somehow damaged the battery. At the same time, I believe that the operation of other hardware / links have been compromised, but I have no knowledge of hardware.
That's just a guess, because I have to reset the date and time every time I remove my energy computer, or when I turn elsewhere or just unplug and plug in the socket. When I remain with the power, the system starts normally without resetting values. This is a problem that occurs due to the ROM, right? If not, what hardware is responsible for storing information and which procedures should be taken in cases like this, with ant nests?

If change my HDD to an SSD, there is some form of this problem be solved?

My Macbook Pro is the model mid 2010. Has anyone had something like that?

Thanks, hugs.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Your model MacBook Pro uses the main battery instead of a CMOS/NVRAM battery to keep the clock in sync when not connected to AC power. If the main battery is exhausted, then the date & time will always reset when the power is withdrawn. There is a chip on the main logic board that stores the parameters for things like the date & time, startup disk, sound volume, etc. The only solution is to replace the battery and any other components that may have been damaged. Installing an SSD will not correct this issue, but will result in increased speed and reduced startup time.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Your model MacBook Pro uses the main battery instead of a CMOS/NVRAM battery to keep the clock in sync when not connected to AC power. If the main battery is exhausted, then the date & time will always reset when the power is withdrawn. There is a chip on the main logic board that stores the parameters for things like the date & time, startup disk, sound volume, etc. The only solution is to replace the battery and any other components that may have been damaged. Installing an SSD will not correct this issue, but will result in increased speed and reduced startup time.

Hope that helps,

C

Thanks!

I will buy that battery: https://www.amazon.com/Floureon-A13...474933209&sr=1-2&keywords=MC373+A1286+battery

And that SSD: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-2-5-Inch-MZ-75E250B/dp/B00OAJ412U?th=1

Did you know if my new set will work perfectly, without incompatibility? My sata is SATA II, and the SSD have 6Gb/s...

My computer: MacBook Pro 6,2 - 15" Mid-2010 - A1286 - MC373**/A

Last edited:
Reaction score
According to that link, it says:
  • Interface: SATA 6Gb/s Interface (compatible with SATA 3Gb/s & SATA 1.5Gb/s interface)
By the way, Samsung SSDs are the best! Also, you might want to look at this:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-sata-3gbps,3469.html

When I read the last "page" of that link, though (#16 on the list), it seems that you will not suffer too much of a performance drop.

And it is imperative that you purchase a genuine Apple battery for your machine. There have been many reports of issues with third party batteries. (By the way, the link you provided for the battery does not work).

Ask a Question