MacBook Pro not able to boot up, green screen.

Reaction score
Hey.

I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem as me online so I just want to ask if anyone can help me determine what the issue might be and maybe suggestions of what to do.

Yesterday my MacBook pro 15" Early 2011 wasn't able to wake up when I opened the lid. I forced a shut down and tried to start it up again.
Now the screen was green, the apple was distorted with lines and same with the progress bar. I waited for about half n hour but the progress bar was stuck and Mac wouldnt boot.

I've tried resetting NVRAM and SMC, only thing this did was bring back the start up chime which gave me hope, but still won't boot up.

I've tried cmd+r, safe mode(shift), D, but nothing happens. Startup manager (options) but it won't start from a old timemachine backup either, I just get a gray screen when it's loaded for a long time on the green screen..

S, T and cmd+V gave a reaction but I'm not able to read what the screen says bacause it's so distorted and chopped..

It's worth to mention I've tried taking out the RAM which I've changed(ages ago so not related) and putting in the original chips without result.

As you can see from the images I've also had blue and white screen with the same distorted logo but mainly it's been green.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That is definitely a hardware issue. It might qualify for the following:

MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues

Check out the link and let us know.

C

Hello, thank you for your welcome :)

According to that link I do not qualify unfortunately.

I visited a local Apple authorised shop today and they were able to localise the problem to the graphics card. Which basically means the logic board needs to be replaced or fixed, if I understood correctly. It might be covered under consumer law here in Norway but I won't know until I send it in and they look at it.

I'm holding off on sending it in until I've got a complete backup of the hard drive which luckily wasn't damaged. I'm not gonna pay 240$ for a backup when I'm able to do it with a thunderbolt cable and a friends macbook.

Thank you so much for your time.

Reaction score
Hello, thank you for your welcome :)

According to that link I do not qualify unfortunately.

I visited a local Apple authorised shop today and they were able to localise the problem to the graphics card. Which basically means the logic board needs to be replaced or fixed, if I understood correctly. It might be covered under consumer law here in Norway but I won't know until I send it in and they look at it.

I'm holding off on sending it in until I've got a complete backup of the hard drive which luckily wasn't damaged. I'm not gonna pay 240$ for a backup when I'm able to do it with a thunderbolt cable and a friends macbook.

Thank you so much for your time.

According to that link, you DO qualify (early 2015 MacBook Pro 15"). I also had problems with my early 2011 17" MacBook Pro. Sent it in, and just three days later got it back completely fixed. They even replaced my optical drive which isn't covered under the extended warranty. Apple id great! Check again, I'm sure your computer is covered if you are right about the model year.

Reaction score
Hmm, alright then I don't understand what to look for when I enter my serialnumber?

MacBookVidIssue.jpg

Reaction score
Hmm, alright then I don't understand what to look for when I enter my serialnumber?

View attachment 1685

That screen is just confirming that your computer is, indeed, a MacBook Pro (15-inc, Early 2011) which is covered under the extended warranty. The window says that your regular coverage has expired. That is not referring to the extended coverage. My model report looked exactly the same. You are still covered under the extended warranty. Call Apple Support or bring it into an Apple Store. It IS covered.

Reaction score
I did read that, but probably misunderstood.
Obviously not all the macs are affected so I thought it would say if mine was definitely affected.
But I can see now that says " Your MacBook Pro will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program and is otherwise in working order."

I will definitely ask about this when I take it to the shop again.

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

Reaction score
I did read that, but probably misunderstood.
Obviously not all the macs are affected so I thought it would say if mine was definitely affected.
But I can see now that says " Your MacBook Pro will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program and is otherwise in working order."

I will definitely ask about this when I take it to the shop again.

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

My pleasure. Good luck. I'm sure Apple will return your MacBook Pro in full working order.

Ask a Question