Macbook pro (13"/Mid 2010) not charging correctly

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have the following problem. My MBP won't charge correctly. Here are the symptoms:

- Magsafe adapter LED stays off when connected
- Mac OS tells me that the charger is connected, but the battery is not charging
- When I shut down my Macbook and let it sit for a while (with Magsafe connected) it will slowly (very slowly, think 12+ hours) charge to full, and it behaves normally (posting from it right now).

What I have tried:
- Different Magsafe adapter (with sufficient wattage)
- Popped in a different battery (same model which charges fine in another Macbook)
- Reset SMC

I tried to google my problem, but I haven't found someone with my particular problem, either they can charge or not. But I can charge it (like I mentioned, slowly) when shut down.

Does anyone know what to do? I have to mention, that I recently "rediscovered" this Macbook, it wasn't powered on in years. I just upgraded to Yosemite, if that's important.

Thanks in advance,
Julian

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have the following problem. My MBP won't charge correctly. Here are the symptoms:

- Magsafe adapter LED stays off when connected
- Mac OS tells me that the charger is connected, but the battery is not charging
- When I shut down my Macbook and let it sit for a while (with Magsafe connected) it will slowly (very slowly, think 12+ hours) charge to full, and it behaves normally (posting from it right now).

What I have tried:
- Different Magsafe adapter (with sufficient wattage)
- Popped in a different battery (same model which charges fine in another Macbook)
- Reset SMC

I tried to google my problem, but I haven't found someone with my particular problem, either they can charge or not. But I can charge it (like I mentioned, slowly) when shut down.

Does anyone know what to do? I have to mention, that I recently "rediscovered" this Macbook, it wasn't powered on in years. I just upgraded to Yosemite, if that's important.

Thanks in advance,
Julian

So, even with a different Magsafe adapter, and the different battery, the issues are still the same?

Reaction score
So, even with a different Magsafe adapter, and the different battery, the issues are still the same?

Correct. I fear it could be something on the logic board, like the charging controller, which would be beyond my ability to repair. I'm not so keen on soldering controllers to the logic board and having it repaired would likely exceed the cost of the 5 year old device.

Maybe someone else has an idea. For now I can use it to surf the net for a few hours and then it goes back to the long charge cycle.

Good thing this is not my current computer, I just thought it would be nice to reactivate it but it seems I'm out of luck.

Thanks anyway!

Ask a Question