Macbook Air Internal Speakers Lost?

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have looked throughout dozens of articles about this issue, tried suggestions of cleaning mp3 input, PRAM restarts, normal restarts, quick insertions of jack cables etc. However, none have yielded any positive results.
My mac is a Macbook Air 2013 13-inch. This issue had only recently started to occur since I've been using external speakers using a jack cable. I have also spilled a small amount of water on the left side of the keyboard, however this hasn't had any complications whatsoever and was cleaned / dried with haste, but this may be the result of that.
Do any of you have any suggestions, apart from what I have already tried?
Sound works fine with the external speakers and a USB cable headset.
The startup chime sound still works with the internal speakers however.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be due to lasting affects of the liquid spill. It could have damaged either the Left I/O board or logic board. Also, slight damage to the port can cause the audio jack to not set itself back to the internal speakers when an audio cable is removed. Quick insertions/removals of an audio cable are normally used for combo analog/optical audio jacks that get "stuck" in optical mode. The MBA has a standard analog audio jack.

-Which version of OS X?
-Do you have any third-party audio routing software installed?
-Does an audio cable properly seat in the audio jack?
-Has the audio cable ever been bumped or left inserted when the MBA was in a travel case?
-Have you tried an SMC reset?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory Cooper, and thanks for your suggestions.

I have tried the quick insertions/removals of audio jack, but that did not seem to do the trick.

1. I am using El Capitan version 10.11.2.
2. My Mac might have automatically installed third-party audio routing software when I inserted my SteelSeries gaming headset via USB?
3. Yes, it snaps in perfectly.
4. The current jack audio cable I am using for my speakers is defected, it only works when its bent in a specific direction.
5. No, I have not. I will try it after I've looked more into it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

-Which model SteelSeries headset? Is it connected all of the time and the software audio driver enabled?
-Does the speaker cable act the same when plugged into another computer/device - i.e. does it need to be bent in a specific direction?

C

Ask a Question