Mac startup problem

Reaction score
So I have my computer dual booted with max os Yosemite and Windows 8.1. Today I decided to increase my windows partition. (bad idea I know) I used windows disk manager to do it, and the process went smoothly. Or so I thought. Starting my computer up in windows has no problems, but when I hold the alt/option key to select Mac OS X It wont appear, but the Mac recovery partition does. So I use the recovery partition to open Disk Utility and it says that the partition that mac is installed to is ms dos, but in windows Disk manager it says it is HFS just like the recovery partition. So my question is, why does mac think it is ms dos and how do I make it bootable again without losing Windows? I also don't want to resort to re installing mac osx and losing all my stuff.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. That issue would probably best be looked into via a hands-on approach. i would suggest either visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or reaching out to a local Apple support company or user group.

It would be much easier to see the issue and current state of things in person, than via a text discussion. We wouldn't want to suggest something that could result in your losing more/all of your data.

C

Ask a Question