Mac OS X 10.6.8

Reaction score
Last Summer my macbook would not function well. I could start it up but no matter what I was doing, in a few key stokes it would freeze up and I would need to force quit. But when I started it up again it would freeze up again. I stopped using the laptop until August when I took it to the tech guy at school. I explained what it was doing but it worked perfectly for him. We concluded that it must be my wifi at home. I went home and figured I could still use my laptop offline. However it would still freeze up even when I was just working on text documents. It was a few more months before I got a chance to bring it back to the tech guy(this time at his home). My laptop functioned perfectly at his house. The first thing he did was to check and reset some things so we figured that had fixed it. I went back home and the laptop would freeze up no matter what I did. I realized that it had to be something in my house causing the problem. I unplugged our magic jack and it my laptop still froze up. When I unplugged the wifi the laptop worked fine(but no internet of course). So, I went to a neighbors house and connected to their internet wifi and my laptop worked fine. So, at this point I can use my laptop anywhere but in my own house!

Anybody ever come across this? Is there a fix so I can use it at home?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That is a strange issue indeed.

-Which exact model MacBook?
-What brand/model is your modem/router?
-Is it from your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?
-Who is your ISP?
-Do other devices work normally on your Wi-Fi in your home?

You may have something setup incorrectly in System Preferences > Network Wi-Fi > Advanced... Check to make sure that 802.1X isn't enabled (do you use this Mac at work/school)? Also, see if there are any proxies checked/enabled.

C

Ask a Question