mac mini display (resolution) problem

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used mac mini

(Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Serial Number YM0166KY9G5

Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F1077))

and it has worked fine, but twice in the last two weeks, when I booted it up the screen was different, the files I have on the desktop are just barely on the screen and everything is “squeezed”. I have gone into system preferences >display, and tried different settings. Although there were changes the desktop hasn’t. The desktop picture still looks “squeezed” and the text and icons are ether larger or smaller (depending on the settings of the display). The first time this happened, when I booted up the next day everything was back to normal bit it happened again today so I thought I’d see if you could help me, please.

Reaction score
Hello and thanks:

Dell Ultrasharp 1909 wb widescreen LCD. My OS X Mavericks,
I believe the connection is VGA to RGB
and I I tried the PRAM/NVRAM (with the help of youtube) but that didn't help. I booted up this morning hoping that it would return to the original desktop display screen but it was the same as it was when I shutdown last night.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

-Is there an aspect control on the Dell?
-Have you tried changing resolution settings in  > System Preferences... > Displays?

C

Reaction score
Greetings:

On the monitor I did try the menu, display settings, auto adjust and the "the 'other adjustments' and nothing changed.
The menu settings, it's set at 1024 x 768, (which corresponds with Dell monitor) 1280 x 960 at 60 hertz, it made the icons and the text smaller but they're still "squeezed", along with the different applications. I really appreciate your suggestions, thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm..I am running out of ideas.

Would it be possible and would you be willing to take a couple of photos of the issue and post them so we can see exactly what the issue is?

C

Reaction score
Hello, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner (real life got in the way). I'm attaching 3 photos. Hope this helps.
It looks like because of file size I can only send one. You can see that the FCPX interface is "squeezed" and too large for my screen. Also When I tried to send a full size image it covered most of the text message.

Thanks

FCPX.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the screenshot.

-Does the screen fill to the screen, or are there black bars on the left and right sides? If so, then it is not set on a widescreen display setting. The native resolution of that Dell is 1440x900, so look for that resolution the Displays preferences. You can select Scaled to have access to other resolutions.

-To get FCP to "fit" in the screen, click and drag the top of the window, just to the left of where it says Final Cut Pro, to the right until you can see the three windows controls (usually red/yellow/green.) Then, click the green one and the window should "shrink horizontally to fill the screen.

C

Reaction score
^ Yeah. If the "native" resolution is 1440x900, set it to that in the resolution settings. Things may look squeezed since the resolution is set to a different setting.

Reaction score
Hello:

I'm sending another screen shot of the VGA display, as you can see there is no 1440 x 900 setting. When I bootup, the mac startup screen is all ready "squeezed" it's not just the apps, (Final Cut Pro X, my Email, System preferences, etc. I know there has to be a correct setting since it was there from the day the Mac mini was delivered up to last week. It's not that I can't work with it as it is now but I would like display screens be the correct size. Thanks for all your help.

Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 8.10.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 8.12.04 AM.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It is strange that it doesn't show that resolution. I have seen this issue in the past with different Mac/third-oarty display combinations. The part that is confusing is that it worked previously...was it actually on 1440x900? I would try the 1400x1050 setting and see if that is closer.

Have you tried changing settings in the display itself? What is Display Settings > Wide Mode set to - 4:3 or full screen?

Also, I see that you are connecting it via a VGA adapter. I would recommend getting an Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter so you can run it via a digital connection versus a VGA analog connection.

C

Reaction score
Mr. "C"

After I read your last rely I wanted to check the back make sure of the connections and to see if one of my cables would work. Then I noticed that the cable wasn't completely Plugged in. When I rebooted everything was back to regular aspect. I'm still going to try your recommendation ( Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter). And again thanks for your help.

Chuck

Startup Screen.jpg
FCPX SCREEN.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
HA! Something we didn't even think of. Glad it's working again.

It's up to you if you want to change to the other adapter. If it's working, you may not notice a difference. You could always return it if it doesn't change anything.

C

Reaction score
I've already switched, it took awhile for the monitor to find the the signal but everything is OK, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I know that not very technical, but what the hell! If I need help in the future I'm looking for you.

See ya

Chuck

Reaction score
Hi again, but don't worry I don't have a problem (keep my fingers crossed) I'm running FCPX 10.0.6. I would like to upgrade to 10.1. I've tried apple but can't find it. When I try to download from one of the other sites I'm told that I need Transmission and/or Torrent. When I download them I get the icon but there's nothing in the folder. I'm not really crazy about a pirated copy and as long as I can't get those other two apps I'm "dead in the water". My FCPX works fine, I just thought it would be nice to upgrade. Any advice?

Thanks

Chuck

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Since you have Final Cut Pro X 10.0.6, 10.1 is simply an update available through the App Store, where 10.0.6 was purchased. The latest version is actually 10.2.1.

Transmission bittorrent client software is not recommended. It is used for legal file transfer, but also used widely for deploying pirated software. Any version of any Apple software that is available via a torrent is being distributed illegally.

Try opening the App Store and checking for updates. It may not find the update if you aren't logged into the App Store.

C

Ask a Question