MAC G5 MAC Pro spits out Leopard 10.5 install DVD

Reaction score
No explanation given. I bought this because the hard drive on my G4 crashed. I thought that I could get an updated tablet later for the internet, but just needed something right away for , email and publishing and whatever web sites I still could open. I gave the shop owner my OSX Leopard 5 Install DVD to download for me into the G5, but he, I found out later, installed a remote version 4.11. I am still waiting for an explanation from him. On the G4 I was running 5.8 but can't remember how I got up to 5.8. I think that a lot of little problems that I am experiencing could be corrected with 5.8. Anyone know what needs to be done to correct?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have heard of this issue before, especially with the install disc for Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 and G5s.

-Is this a purple and black retail disc, or grey discs that came with another Mac?
-What version is listed on the face of the disc - 10.5.x?
-Which exact model of G5?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have heard of this issue before, especially with the install disc for Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 and G5s.

-Is this a purple and black retail disc, or grey discs that came with another Mac?
-What version is listed on the face of the disc - 10.5.x?
-Which exact model of G5?

C
Hi Cory. It is the purple & black retail disc.

Reaction score
Forgot to write the version. It is v.X10.5. Sorry for repeated replies, hard to under-
stand the message method. Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries. ;)

First thing is to determine whether the G5 has a CD or DVD drive. If it is only a CD drive, that would cause it to spit out the Leopard DVD as it would be able to be read. That may also be why he installed 10.4.11, as Tiger had CD install discs available.

C

Reaction score
:)Yes, that may be what happens. I talked to the shop owner yesterday and he said that it had something to do with a 4 thing and an 8 thing. Didn't quite get it, but he said he would take one out of an old G4 and replace the one in my G5 with that. Do you think that might work?
Thanks for your help

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It depends on the models of the G4 and G5 and what their optical drive connectors are. If you can give me the exact models of the G4 and G5, I can look it up and let you know.

C

Ask a Question